Candidates

Democracy and Communications Officer Candidates

The Democracy and Communications Officer has a number of responsibilities, from coordinating Freshers’ Address to chairing the Elections Committee. This role embodies the responsibility of interpreting the Student’s Union Constitution as well as helping prospective and current clubs and societies, Student-Run Services, Associated Bodies and JCRs write and amend their own constitutions. The officer should also support the media Student Run Services (Impact, NUTS, URN).

Danny Barry

Barry believes he has achieved a lot during his time at University. Starting as JCR President in his first year, he has since advanced from Week One Rep to Week One Coordinator, meaning he is well practiced in working closely with the SU.

It’s clear that the workings of the SU have consistently been of interest to this candidate, and it is therefore not surprising that Barry is keen to expand the SU. He is enthusiastic to increase face to face interaction, which he said will also form a large part of his campaign as a key strategy will be “getting my face shown in halls”.

Sam Bucknall

Bucknall believes that “students, no matter who they are, or where they are, should get better access and representation” from the Students’ Union.  He intends to achieve this by providing greater support for Representational Officers and working closely with roles such as the Inter-Site Officer and the SB Guild to find out what they need in order to feel more involved and to ensure that this is achieved.

Bucknall believes that, having sat as a councillor and as Vice Chair of SU Council, he is well placed to see “the need for desperate change to make it more representational for students”.  He is also keen that media SRSs receive support and resources so that they can “do bigger and better things than they currently do”. Bucknall acknowledges that many students “don’t necessarily fit into representational groups” and as a result can feel underrepresented. “I want to make sure that this changes”, he asserts.

Images by Helen Miller

CandidatesElections
  • Sammy B for Democracy!