Blog

‘Joy’ for Sarah Lewis at Environment & Social Justice Win

Sarah Joy Lewis has been named Environmental and Social Justice Officer. One of eight candidates running unopposed, Lewis duly beat RON (Reopen Nominations) to gain her position. When talking toImpact she said ”I would genuinely have liked competition”

Throughout her campaign, Lewis voiced her concern that it is “easy to forget about Environmental and Social Justice issues” and that, in her opinion “there is always more to be done”. Despite this concern, Lewis remarked that, “ there is not something that I think needs changing (specifically)”. However, now she has been named as ESJ Officer, Lewis needs to focus on a clear strategy for how she will effectively improve environmental and social responsibility within the University, two issues that Nottingham students are increasingly concerned about.

Lewis has always emphasised how her wide experience of work in social justice and environmental roles will help her in the position. She is well qualified for the role, having been President of ‘Stop the Traffik’ and volunteering with a Mexican HIV/AIDs charity. Lewis will have to call upon this experience and her skills, as traditionally, ESJ Officers have had a hard task engaging with some of the student population on environmental and social justice issues. Coupled with this, her manifesto made some big pledges, such as “promoting the clear identification of consequences and ethical choices to students”.

BlogElections
  • Rob