Lead articles

Here Come the Girls!

The next stop on the Varsity trail is the netball this Friday. Impact headed down to the team’s last training session before the match to have a quick chat with the girls and their coach to see if Uni Netball can put the University of Nottingham back on track to win the Varsity series.

The president Florence Milner, captain Emily Staite and coach Tallisa Haynes all have their sights on a win after disappointing results in the last two years. After the Second’s recent victory over Trent’s first team last week, the First’s should be the favourites. For several of the 3rd year players, it is their last match and the girls are looking to finish their season, as well as their university careers, on a high with a win.

The team have increased their training in preparation for Friday’s match with more drills and set plays, and the coach is positive they can regain the Varsity Netball title. Although the team are a league above Trent in BUCS they are fully aware their opponents will bring everything they’ve got to the Varsity: including a potential appearance by former England player Masego Motaung. Their coach notes that in the previous two Varsity meets, Trent have had the home advantage; but this time it is Uni’s turn to host the match. Coach and Loughbourgh Lightning Superleague player Tallisa Haynes is ‘looking to get a big crowd in’ and is hoping ‘the spectators can be our 8th player.’

After the Second’s win last week, Haynes is unsure whether Trent will come out all guns blazing or will play with caution: wary of another Nottingham University defeat. Hoping to ensure this is achieved will be fresher, Sophie Freemantle, and superb shooter, Taryn Belcher-Brown, who have been earmarked as the Uni players to watch. Fingers crossed it will a much-needed second point for the University of Nottingham.

The game starts at 5pm at the Sports Centre on University Park this Friday so get along to support the girls and your university. If you can’t make it, we’ll be keeping you up to date with a live text feed on the Impact website. And if all goes well and you want to congratulate the team keep an eye out for the girls on the Ocean dance floor after the match!

Alice Hajek

Lead articlesNetballSportVarsity