Blog

‘On the Campaign Trail’ – Out In the Clubs

As the Student Union elections reach their final days, all the candidates are making one last desperate bid to gain votes. Last night, Cr-isis was the venue for the last club night of the campaign, so Impact went out on the town to investigate.

Even when there were virtually no students in the club, the candidates were already there to fight over prime spots on the balcony to pitch their banners. Whilst they waited for the night to get started, they used a scrolling screen of texts to promote their campaigns or in some cases take jibes at their opponents.

Impact spoke to Rosie Tressler, who said she was really nervous about results night. After putting her all into campaigning she thinks she’s done all she can, “I’ve been running around like a headless chicken. Today I’ve been at Sutton Bonington, University Park and the Musicality show.” Meanwhile, Michael de Vletter’s campaign for Education Officer is uncontested so he said that his campaign is slightly less stressful, but added that it was important to get his face out there because “every vote matters”.

However, whilst the candidates felt it was important to make their presence known at the clubs, there were mixed feelings about how effective it was. LGBT candidate Abi Alcock said: “It’s only really worth campaigning when people are sober. I’ll probably leave at about 1am because if people are too drunk then they won’t remember your name to vote for you by the morning.”

We will know on Friday how many students have voted in these elections, but the general consensus from students at the club was one of indifference or even annoyance at having their night disrupted by campaigners. One first year said: “Everyone’s saying ‘Vote for me!’ but no-one’s giving me a reason or why I should.”

Helen Trimm & Fiona Crosby

BlogElections
  • Stuart Neyton