Blog

Representative Officers Results

Elliott Reed – LGBT Officer

After two week of a friendly yet still competitive campaigning, Elliott Reed has convinced the LGBT community that they do indeed “have a need for Reed” and has been voted LGBT Officer for the coming year.

Reed’s main policies include a commitment to the Homophobia in Halls campaign, dedicated to educating staff and students in an attempt to completely wipe out homophobia in halls. This would also include a complaints procedure with fast feedback. Reed also promises to continue and further campaigns to get more people who self define as LGBT more involved in the Network, especially those who may have misconceptions about it. He is particularly interested in reasearch on what people think of the network and finding out why numbers of the Network are relatively low considering general averages for LGBT populations. More publicity for the trans community was an aim of all the candidates this year. When talking to Impact Reed ”thanks everyone who supported him whilst campaigning and said LGBT is in good hands.”

Although LGBT campaigning on campus is by necessity a quieter affair than campaigning for other positions, Reed held himself well at the LGBT Queer Cafe Question Time, answering the varied questions with humour and poise.

Jennifer Ingram – Women’s Officer

Tonight, the student body obeyed Jennifer Ingram’s command and put their trust ‘[in] Ingram’ to be Nottingham’s next Women’s Officer. Ingram has been a dedicated member of the Women’s Network Committee this year, co-organising the ‘Women of Faith’ debate and committing whole-heartedly to the struggle against gender inequality in all forms. In her manifesto, Ingram emphasised the need to foster a closer bond both between female students themselves, and between female students and the Women’s Network, which she hopes to achieve through ‘frequent socials’ and more ‘girly group events’. This open approach could help to broaden the support base of Women’s Network and make it more accessible to a wider range of female students, breaking down barriers between existing members of the Network and the rest of the female student body. Ingram also aims to introduce a ‘genuine beauty’ campaign, which may also help to unify Nottingham’s femmes in a fight for female empowerment and improved self-esteem. Talking to Impact, Ingram thanked her team for their “passion and help”.

Ingram looks set to open up the Women’s Network, broadening its support base and making it much more accessible to all female students. Let’s hope her fight to unite will prove a success.

In the other Representative Officer Elections, Adam Abukari, who ran unopposed, has been elected Mature Students’ Officer when talking to Impact he said ”I want to make sure mature voices get heard”. Mohammed Toqueer Alam has beaten RON to win the International Students’ Officer position and Joseph Clough, campaigning from Vancouver, has been elected the Disabled Students’ Officer.

BlogElections
  • Laura