Albums

Album Review: Beastie Boys – Hot Sauce Committee Pt. 2

It’s been a long and drawn out return for the Beastie Boys; with tracks that date back to 2008, ‘Hot Sauce Committee Pt. 2’ has finally arrived amid stories concerning MCA’s throat cancer scare. Fans, I feel, are polarised; they’re concerned for the well-being of MCA and the band as a whole, but are also highly expectant of an album 8 years in the making. Beastie Boys, it would seem, are acutely aware of this and have rewarded fans for their patience and concern.

Opening track ‘Make Some Noise’ is engaging and sees the Beastie Boys reliving the highs of 1998’s ‘Hello Nasty’. “Yes, here we go again, give you more, nothing lesser/ Back on the mic is the anti-depressor” raps Ad-Rock with the impressive rap-juggling that the Beastie Boys have become renowned for. However , on ‘Hot Sauce Committee Pt. 2’ it is delivered with a certain irony; the Beastie Boys realise they’re still using a style that is increasingly becoming dated, but instead of shying away from their age, they embrace it and achieve a firm reminder of what makes them brilliant in the process.

From this point on the album continues to improve track on track, ‘Too Many Rappers’ is a retro fitted golden-era hip-hop song with echoes of Run DMC; something which fittingly laments the death of the era. ‘Say It’ is a bass-driven rollercoaster of a song in which the Beastie Boys deliver their distinctly rapid-pace rapping.

The Beastie Boys have proved to the world that once again they are capable of making great music and boy, do they seem to have a large amount of fun along the way.

4/5

Ben James

…Ben had been listening to: Gang Gang Dance – ‘Mindkilla’

AlbumsMusic