Albums

Album Review: Tyler, The Creator – Goblin

T

Tyler, the Creator’s second album, ‘Goblin was unleashed on 9th May and has cause the tidal wave of blogosphere activity that it had promised. This is the Odd Future Wolf Gang Kill Them All leader’s first album on XL and guarantees to deliver where so many albums have failed throughout 2011.

There is definitely a level of twisted genius to Tyler’s work; I think of ‘Goblin and his first album,B*stard’ synonymously because in my mind they pretty much follow the same narrative. In ‘B*stard’, we’re introduced to councillor ‘TC’ who is obviously Tyler, and in ‘Goblin’, ‘TC’ goes from being Tyler’s therapist to his deranged and murderous conscience, masterfully reversing the ironic facade altogether. Indeed, the closing trio of ‘Window’, ‘AU79’ and ‘Golden’ adds an almost cathartic element to the ending of the story.

Early single ‘Yonkers’, along with openers ‘Goblin’ and ‘Radicals’, are a really strong trio of tracks; they’re dark, aggressive, confessional and really set the scene for the rest of the album. All of which though, leads me to the opinion that there is a definite dip in the middle of the album in which a lot of the songs become rather indulgent and/or meandering.

This sentiment, however, depends on how convinced you are by Tyler’s performance and whether or not you buy into ‘Goblin’s’ themes as a whole. On ‘B*stard’, Tyler expresses an apprehension and resentment towards the adult world he’s about to enter with what feels like genuine sincerity, but in ‘Goblin’, this insanity-act loses its emotional undercurrent.

Overall, I’m really impressed with the new album from Tyler, the Creator. At twenty years old, he has talent beyond his years; what he now needs however, is for someone to reign in that talent and make it more cohesive and succinct.

It’s hard to tell what the future holds for Tyler, but it certainly won’t be on anyone else’s terms, which after all, has been his intention all along.

4/5

Ben James

…Ben has been listening to: Cults – ‘Abducted’

AlbumsMusic