Lead articles

Summer Party 2011 Preview: The Acts

A seminal feature of Nottingham University’s widely acclaimed institution, Summer Party, is its annual supply of great acts onto our very doorstep, and this year is no exception.  The line-up promises to provide more than something for everyone’s tastes, with an eclectic mix of world renowned headliners, up and coming indie bands to big names in the world of drum and bass and dub-step, it will be hard to see how anyone will be left disappointed on the 4th June. Here is Impact’s guide to what you can expect on the day.

Example

The rapper/ singer-songwriter hailing from West London is going from strength to strength and on the eve of the release of his third album, the buzz and excitement surrounding this stereotype breaking artist is contagious.  With an arsenal of hits which range from collaborations with Skream to anthemic festival sing -alongs, Example’s live show is full of energy and is sure once again to deliver a vivacious and up-beat climax to this year’s Summer Party.

Chase and Status

Few acts, irrespective of genre, are able to produce a live show comparable to Chase and Status in the current music industry. Expect a barrage of orchestrated madness from start to finish interwoven with guest performers and above all crescendos of drops and dubs which will be sure to set the crowd alight as the evening draws to a close.

Feeder

Feeder have attained a reputation as one of the most crowd pleasing acts on the British festival scene, and for good reason. Their songs almost seem to be written for audiences of half drunken Brits to chant in unison in a daze of sunshine and alcohol during the long summer of festivals. With hits such as Buck Rogers and Just a Day up their sleeve, along with more recent songs like Lost and Found and Tumble and Fall, a well rounded set list of festival pleasers will inevitably induce a show of pop-rock fuelled revelry.

Detonate Tent

Detonate nights have been a prominent feature of Nottingham, and indeed the country’s music scene for several years now. At the forefront of the world of dub-step and drum and bass, Summer Party’s new Detonate Tent has some of their biggest DJs performing. Danny Byrd’s live show proffers a mixture of drum and bass mixed with slices of catchy hooks and vocals which project onto a euphoric and sweat-filled audience. Also of note on the Detonate bill is Radio 1 DJ Mista Jam and the always entertaining Scracth Perverts, amongst others.

Crisis vs. Ocean

Perhaps more aptly titled Summer Party’s ‘cheese tent’, albeit evidently due to the genre of music emanating from it rather than its physical structure,  this tent will surprisingly appeal to all those who enjoy Crisis and Ocean nights and their set list of mainstream pop.

Main Stage Acts: during the day

Giant Steps are an up and coming indie band well worth a listen. They are unlikely to set the main stage on fire during the day, but will provide nice background music as you enjoy a nice glass of warm beer.  The Book Club are Joe Carnall’s (ex-lead singer of Milburn) new band, and offer a more mellow take upon the indie genre than Carnall’s previous efforts. Swing n’bass, may not be two words you would normally place together, but that is just what Dutty Moonshine offer. Expect something a bit different and a perhaps a bit Mr Scruffesque from this band from Reading.

Jack Gilbert

Lead articles
  • harry bo
    30 May 2011 at 17:31