Do you have what it takes to become our next Columnist or Blogger?

Impact Features has two very exciting new positions available for the academic year 2011-2012: a columnist for the printed magazine and a blogger for the website. The latter one of these two is brand new, so if your application does succeed, you will be given the opportunity to really make it your own.

What qualities do we look for in a columnist and a blogger?

“A good command of the English language” and “an ability to write” are pretty self-explanatory, but it takes a particular kind of wordsmith to be able to successfully run an Impact column or blog. Your writing style has to have personality; you’ll be working against a backdrop of hundreds of other writers, so it is up to you to find a niche that makes your piece stand out (in a good way). A corrosive sense of humour tends to do the trick, but think about breaking the mould and going for something a bit more unusual.

To make it as columnist or blogger, you also have to be reliable, dedicated and willing to take constructive criticism on board. Impact always aims for the highest level of professionalism, so the same will be naturally expected of you.

What does the column or blog have to be about?

That’s up to you! Previous columnist have broached offbeat matters such as the use of the word ‘nice’, questioned the true purpose of The Jeremy Kyle Show, or simply professed their honest opinions about current world affairs. As long as you keep your column or blog human-interest-related, it doesn’t matter whether you chose to turn it into a politically themed social commentary or a jab at modern-day celebrity culture.

What is in it for me?

Do you even have to ask? Apart from getting published on a regular basis, you’ll also have something to add to your CV and could even be entered into some very prestigious national writing competitions. And let’s not forget becoming an official member of the Impact Team!

Now, stop asking questions and apply! The deadline is 5pm on Friday, the 8th July, so don’t waste any time. What do you have to lose?

We are sorry to announce that the deadline has now passed. If you have applied, we wish you all the best. A lot of consideration will be put into our decision, so please bear with us as we carefully go through every single application.

FeaturesLead articles
  • dan
    17 June 2011 at 13:07