Summer Party Review 2011: Detonate Tent

The Detonate Tent provided an edgy and lively contrast to the other stages and kept the party going after Example finished his headline set. Radio 1 DJ and Nottingham local, Mista Jam opened the stage with a virtuouso performance that laid the foundations for the rest of the night, presenting the heavy bass lines and big drops that were a feature of this tent in their most pop-friendly form.  Playing songs such as ‘louder’, which is on the latest Lucozade advert and has populized this genre. Scratch Perverts turned up the volume and intensity with a heavier set, their greatest compliment being the crowd they managed to draw despite Pendulum playing the main stage at the same time.  Their remix of Chase and Status’ ‘Heavy’ featuring Dizzy Rascal was emblematic of their performance and the set was received with the day’s most aggressive skanking.  Danny Byrd whose success in the UK Dance chart with his most recent album ‘Rave Digger’ saw him receive the biggest crowd of the Detonate tent. The highlights of the lively set were the minimix of American R&B and rap, featuring Snoop Dog heavily, and the looping of hit singles ‘Ill behaviour’ and ‘Tonight’ that when dropped sent the crowd into a frenzy. The final set of the night was performed by the experienced DJ Hype and derived much of its energy from his MC who left the crowd, accustomed to early morning finishes, wanting more. The notable absence of Transit Mafia, who were down to close the tent was a bit of a disappointment and the reasons for their nonattendance is yet unknown, but the Detonate Tent itself was a great feature of the overall day.

Jake Batty