Features & News

Fernando Meirelles’ 360 to open 55th London Film Festival

Today it was announced that 360, from director Fernando Meirelles (City of God, The Constant Gardener), is to open the 55th BFI London Film Festival, which gets underway on the 12th of October for a two week period.

While the film – which is apparently inspired by La Ronde (1950) though this fact is absent in the press release – has already drummed up some interest, the majority of the chatter has been about the screening being a European premier, rather than a world one. The film will be shown at the Toronto Film Festival (8-18th September), running a full month prior to the LFF. Arguably, the London Film Festival should be prestigious enough to secure a world first – the closing night film will be announced at the press release on Wednesday September 7th, hopefully that will satisfy those who feel a little let down.

Here’s a little more about the film from the press release:

“360 is a modern and stylish kaleidoscope of interconnected love and relationships linking characters from different cities and countries in a vivid, suspenseful and deeply moving tale of romantic life in the 21st century. Starting in Vienna, the filmbeautifully weaves through Paris, London, Bratislava, Rio, Denver and Phoenix into a single, mesmerising narrative. From a simple decision made by one man – to remain faithful to his wife – springs a series of consequences. From uplifting, beautiful and romantic moments through to desperate, confused and conflicted interludes, each protagonist in 360 has their own vivid, entertaining, funny, tragic narrative as their stories entwine across the globe.”

Sandra Hebron, who is leaving her post as the festival’s ‘artistic director’ after this year, said “I’m delighted that 360 will be our opening night film,” and that she was “very pleased to welcome back Fernando Meirelles and Peter Morgan to the Festival” after his 2005 film The Constant Gardener opened the 49th LFF.

In response Fernando Meirelles stated, “In the past decade I’ve been to the BFI London Film Festival six times, some of them as a guest, and some as part of the audience. The BFI London Film Festival is one of the best festivals in the world due to its selection of films and the number of theatres the films are shown in. I am very honoured 360, an intimate film that talks about our options in life, has been chosen to open the Festival this year, and I want to thank Sandra Hebron for extending this prestigious invitation to me for a second time.”

Whether or not the festival is selling itself short by opening with a European premiere, excitement is already starting to build and we’re sure the buzz will take off after the press launch in a couple of weeks time. Impact will keep you up-to-date with any major news.

Tom Grater

Features & NewsFilm & TV

Tom is a budding film reviewer, hell bent on providing informed opinions on the latest movie releases to those who need them, whether they like it or not.