Nottingham Forest Blog

Forest fortunes on the up

Steve Cotterill’s start at Forest has received much media attention in the past few weeks. Coming in to replace ex-England boss Steve McClaren, he has racked up three victories in his first five games. Despite losing 3-0 to his former club Portsmouth, Cotterill remains positive that Forest will be in the right half of the table by the end of the season.

Joel Lynch has extended his run of good form, receiving praise from his manager and many of the fans in the Main Stand. Greg Cunningham has been a very useful loan signing, filling in for Clint Hill at Left Back. Cunningham, who is on loan until January from Manchester City, is a Republic Of Ireland international player who has also enjoyed a loan spell at Leicester City.

Cotterill also seems to have restored some of the resilience which was characteristic of Billy Davies’ reign in charge. Last week, Forest came from being to beat a strong Ipswich team 3-2 at home, with Marcus Tudgay scoring in the last minute. Andy Reid had a real impact from the bench and Paul Anderson made his long awaited comeback from injury.

With the backroom still unstable, Cotterill will be hoping that there is money to spend next month when the transfer window opens. Owner Nigel Doughty is unlikely to invest more money in the club, which he has put up for sale, so Cotterill will be anxious for a new buyer to come forward before January 1st.

On a more positive note, Forest have four players on the brink of recovery from injury. George Boateng, Paul Anderson, Garath McCleary and Dexter Blackstock are all expected to be available for the next home match on Tuesday 29th November against Leeds United. Cotterill’s choice of players has increased and this can only help him as he tries to guide Forest further up the table.

Ollie Barnes

Nottingham Forest Blog