Live Review: Tiger Blood @ Coco Lounge 13/10/11

If you’re fond of musical precision and heartfelt sincerity, then this band are certainly for you. Performing in the modest and not-so-typical gig venue of Nottingham’s own cocktail bar Coco Lounge, Tiger Blood took to the ‘stage’ (more specifically, the general dancefloor area) and performed a diverse set, not only musically but also in terms of lyrical content; from songs about heartbreak through to songs about bank robberies and gambling addictions, their music covers a spectrum of issues and its emotional complexity is not to be overlooked or seen superficially.

The quartet, composed of Alex Condliffe, Jonny Fitzpatrick, Alex Leszczuk and Alex Duval, put on a continuously professional and entertaining performance. From dulcet, crooning vocals in ‘It Hurts’ and ‘Jamie’ through to catchy guitar riffs in ‘The Flop’, and ironic witticism in ‘Asthma Girl, You Took My Breath Away’, the audience were kept consistently captivated by the variety and talent that was on show.

Drawing influence from bands such as The Smiths and The Cure, and comparison with more contemporary bands such as Bombay Bicycle Club and Little Comets, Tiger Blood provide us with the aesthetics and palatability of any great up-and-coming indie band of 2012. (And kitted out in skinny jeans and checked shirts, they look the part too). Audibly pleasing and extremely catchy, their songs are not easy to forget. Having seen the band perform an acoustic set at the humble Crocus Café months previous under the different name of Life’s Rich Pageant, it is clear to see how much this band has developed in under a year, not only in terms of song-writing and musical maturity, but also in togetherness as a band and in securing themselves a solid fan base. Eager to make a name for themselves in the music industry, this enthusiastic and talented band are not to be missed.

To look out for future gigs, check www.facebook.com/TigerBloodUK for details.

Sarah Dawood

GigsMusic