News In Brief

Karni keeps a Nottingham School on the road

The SU’s student-run charity Karnival has made a donation of £2,000 to St Augustine’s Primary School in Park Avenue. The donation was made after a local MP asked for help to save the school’s bus service, due a cut in funding. This was causing problems for parents and forced several students to leave the school. The donation will be used to keep the bus service running for longer, giving parents and the school extra time to finalise a long term solution to the problem. Karni Director Chris Bowman said, “It’s just fantastic to be able to help and make such an immediate difference.”

Nottingham scientists break the records

The 2012 Guinness World Records confirmed that the University of Nottingham holds the record for writing the world’s smallest periodic table. The experts at the University’s Nanotechnology and Nanoscience Centre used a beam of accelerated gallium ions and imaging technology to engrave the table on a single hair belonging to Green Chemist Professor Martyn Poliakoff. Professor Poliakoff said that he was “delighted” and that the award was “a tribute to the University’s Nanotechnology Centre.” A video of the teeny-tiny periodic table can be found on YouTube.

Malaysian Gold for NUBC

Nottingham University’s Boat Club have become the Malaysian Varsity Champions for the second year in a row. The week-long event took place at the Putrajaya Rowing Course near Kuala Lumpur. Our Nottingham team scooped gold and silver medals in the four and eight-man, heavyweight and lightweight categories of the Concept2 Ergo Competition, gold medals in the Single and Double Sculls events, and a bronze medal in the Coxless Fours race.

Nottingham MBA joins global elite

Nottingham University Business School has been ranked in the top 100 in the latest international league table of full-time Master of Business Administration programmes. The table, published by The Economist, places the Nottingham School amongst some of the world’s most prestigious institutions, including Dartmouth College, Harvard and Stanford.

Crime-fighting advice available

Students at Nottingham are working with the police to reduce burglary in the city as part of the ‘Love Your Stuff’ campaign. Students are advised to close all windows and lock all doors before going out, put all laptops and valuables out of sight, and to use the free services made available via the campaign to mark property so that it can be traced. More information and advice can be found at www.easily-done.co.uk.

Katie Dolamore

NewsThis Issue