Nottingham Forest Blog

January Sales: What to expect from Forest.

The New Year is upon us and with it comes the opportunity for the football clubs of the UK to dip their toes back into the transfer market. With a chronic lack of goals and a string of losses, Forest manager Steve Cotterill has been told that if he is to be active in the transfer window he must offload some of his players to raise funds.  Impact’s Nottingham Forest blog brings you the to buy and to sell list for January.

TO SELL

1. Jamaal Lascelles £3.5 million

Interest in the 18 year old centre back is high, with a rumoured valuation of £7 million. Arsenal are leading the charge for the captain of the England U18s who is yet to make a first team appearance for Forest. A more realistic £3.5 million could potentially be raised from the sale of Lascelles, much needed cash for Cotterill to boost his strength in depth.

2. Luke Chambers£1 million

Forest captain and highly rated centre back is rumoured to be attracting interest from the Premier League, with Wigan and West Brom planning a swoop for the 26 year old in January. Forest would need to relocate the captains armband if they were to offload Chambers, with Lee Camp being the number one candidate for the role.

3. Ishmael Miller£1 million

Miller has only been with Forest for a few months, having been signed by former manager Steve McClaren in the summer for £1.2 million. Middlesbrough have expressed a strong interest in Miller and Tony Mowbray hopes to buy the young target man in January. Forest would hope to recoup the £1.2 million they spent but would be more likely to sell at just under £1 million in order to free up funds for other transfers.

TOTAL INCOME: £5.5 million

TO BUY

1. Krystian Pearce£750,000

The calm and collected Notts County centre back has been drawing plaudits in League 1 this season. A Forest supporter as a child, Pearce would be the ideal player to fill the gap left by a vacating Luke Chambers. Pearce would be highly valued by the Magpies but would be well worth the investment at 22 years old.

2. Marlon HarewoodFree

Harewood is out of contract with his current club Fuli in South China. He has expressed an interest in returning to the City Ground, where he began his career in 1996. The veteran forward would be a wise signing and could adequately replace Ishmael Miller as a strong target man.

3. Dean Lewington£750,000

A much needed left back and another highly rated League 1 defender. The MK Dons player may be difficult to sign, having played for the club since it moved from Wimbledon. If Forest failed to renew the Greg Cunningham loan deal, they will desperately require a strong defender to fill the void and Lewington would certainly fit the role.

TOTAL EXPENSE: £1.5 million

Cotterill has a tough task ahead of him. He must strengthen his defence whilst getting his team scoring again. Without any money to spend he must make some shrewd deals in January to freshen up his squad if Forest are to survive a demoralising relegation into League 1.

Oliver Barnes

Nottingham Forest BlogSport