Features & News

The Baftas 2012 – Predictions

Below are all the categories in the upcoming 2012 BAFTA Film Awards. The nominees are listed below each heading, with my prediction for the winner in bold.

BEST FILM

THE ARTIST Thomas Langmann

THE DESCENDANTS Jim Burke, Alexander Payne, Jim Taylor

DRIVE Marc Platt, Adam Siegel

THE HELP Brunson Green, Chris Columbus, Michael Barnathan

TINKER TAILOR SOLDIER SPY Tim Bevan, Eric Fellner, Robyn Slovo

Comment: Both Drive and The Help will be pleased with a nomination, and Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy is likely to triumph in the ‘Outstanding British Film’ category rather than here (see below). Awards to this point suggest a relatively close call between The Descendants, which has gathered recent momentum, and The Artist – but I fully expect The Artist to triumph here. 

OUTSTANDING BRITISH FILM

MY WEEK WITH MARILYN Simon Curtis, David Parfitt, Harvey Weinstein, Adrian Hodges

SENNA Asif Kapadia, James Gay-Rees, Tim Bevan, Eric Fellner, Manish Pandey

SHAME Steve McQueen, Iain Canning, Emile Sherman, Abi Morgan

TINKER TAILOR SOLDIER SPY Tomas Alfredson, Tim Bevan, Eric Fellner, Robyn Slovo, Bridget O’Connor, Peter Straughan

WE NEED TO TALK ABOUT KEVIN Lynne Ramsay, Luc Roeg, Jennifer Fox, Robert Salerno, Rory Stewart Kinnear

Comment: Presuming it doesn’t cause an upset and win ‘Best Film’, Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy should be a certainty to scoop this much-deserved BAFTA.

OUTSTANDING DEBUT BY A BRITISH WRITER, DIRECTOR OR PRODUCER

ATTACK THE BLOCK Joe Cornish (Director/Writer)

BLACK POND Will Sharpe (Director/Writer), Tom Kingsley (Director), Sarah Brocklehurst (Producer)

CORIOLANUS Ralph Fiennes (Director)

SUBMARINE Richard Ayoade (Director/Writer)

TYRANNOSAUR Paddy Considine (Director), Diarmid Scrimshaw (Producer)

Comment: After snubbing Olivia Colman a Best Actress nomination and Peter Mullan a Supporting Actor nomination, BAFTA may feel an obligation to give this one to Paddy Considine’s directorial debut, Tyrannosaur.

FILM NOT IN THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE

INCENDIES Denis Villeneuve, Luc Déry, Kim McGraw

PINA Wim Wenders, Gian-Piero Ringel

POTICHE François Ozon, Eric Altmayer, Nicolas Altmayer

A SEPARATION Asghar Farhadi

THE SKIN I LIVE IN Pedro Almodóvar, Agustin Almodóvar

Comment: After winning at the Golden Globes and the London Critics’ Circle awards, A Separation is almost a dead-cert to win.

DOCUMENTARY

GEORGE HARRISON: LIVING IN THE MATERIAL WORLD Martin Scorsese

PROJECT NIM James Marsh, Simon Chinn

SENNA Asif Kapadia 

Comment: Shamefully overlooked for an Oscar nomination, director Asif Kapadia will hopefully find consolation with a win for Senna here.

ANIMATED FILM

THE ADVENTURES OF TINTIN: THE SECRET OF THE UNICORN Steven Spielberg

ARTHUR CHRISTMAS Sarah Smith

RANGO Gore Verbinski

Comment: Rango was seen as a definite possibility, but The Adventures of Tintin’s Golden Globe win puts it well out in front. Plus, it’s an excuse to get Spielberg up on stage.

DIRECTOR

THE ARTIST Michel Hazanavicius

DRIVE Nicolas Winding Refn

HUGO Martin Scorsese

TINKER TAILOR SOLDIER SPY Tomas Alfredson

WE NEED TO TALK ABOUT KEVIN Lynne Ramsay

Comment: This is a particularly tight category, with a case to be made for any of the nominees. I expect the lack of awards-buzz to kill off Lynne Ramsay’s chances, and Nicolas Winding Refn may be too much of a radical option for many of the voters (even though he won at Cannes). Tomas Alfredson’s best chance is for Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy to have a prolific night, it that happens he might sneak it. Scorsese scooped the Globe, but I expect Hazanavicius to take this one.

ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY

THE ARTIST Michel Hazanavicius

BRIDESMAIDS Annie Mumolo, Kristen Wiig

THE GUARD John Michael McDonagh

THE IRON LADY Abi Morgan

MIDNIGHT IN PARIS Woody Allen

Comment: While many have questioned whether Midnight in Paris is deserving enough to scoop screenplay awards across the board, Woody Allen recently won at the Golden Globes and that makes him the front runner. Hazanavicius is lying in wait but Woody is the favourite.

ADAPTED SCREENPLAY

THE DESCENDANTS Alexander Payne, Nat Faxon, Jim Rash

THE HELP Tate Taylor

THE IDES OF MARCH George Clooney, Grant Heslov, Beau Willimon

MONEYBALL Steven Zaillian, Aaron Sorkin

TINKER TAILOR SOLDIER SPY Bridget O’Connor, Peter Straughan

Comment: Another tricky one – Moneyball may be a bit too American for BAFTA, likewise with The Ides. The Help and The Descendants are both lurking, but I expect Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy to take this along with ‘Best British Film’ – if it does so, the team behind the cold war-era spy drama will consider it a successful night. 

LEADING ACTOR

BRAD PITT Moneyball

GARY OLDMAN Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy

GEORGE CLOONEY The Descendants

JEAN DUJARDIN The Artist

MICHAEL FASSBENDER Shame

Comment: This is perhaps the hardest category to predict. I anticipate that Brad Pitt will miss out, though he may have more chance come the Oscars. Gary Oldman has got a shot with BAFTA, and if Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy does have that prolific night, he may be in with a chance. Michael Fassbender is the dark horse, and would be a fully deserving winner, but I think he’ll fall just outside. George Clooney and Jean Dujardin both triumphed at the Golden Globes (in Drama and Comedy/Musical acting categories respectively), and I think it’s close between the two. My prediction – Dujardin to just edge this one and Clooney to take the Oscar.

LEADING ACTRESS

BÉRÉNICE BEJO The Artist

MERYL STREEP The Iron Lady

MICHELLE WILLIAMS My Week with Marilyn

TILDA SWINTON We Need to Talk About Kevin

VIOLA DAVIS The Help

Comment: This is probably a two-horse race between Streep and Davis, though Michelle Williams has an outside chance. I anticipate Streep to win, and for that momentum to also carry her through to Oscar glory.

SUPPORTING ACTOR

CHRISTOPHER PLUMMER Beginners

JIM BROADBENT The Iron Lady

JONAH HILL Moneyball

KENNETH BRANAGH My Week with Marilyn

PHILIP SEYMOUR HOFFMAN The Ides of March

Comment: One of the strongest categories of the night – as evidenced by the fact that no one from Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy was even nominated (Hardy, Strong, Cumberbatch, Hurt; no one would have begrudged them a nod) – I believe Plummer will take it comfortably, though Branagh has an outside chance after winning at the London Critics’ Circle yesterday.

SUPPORTING ACTRESS

CAREY MULLIGAN Drive

JESSICA CHASTAIN The Help

JUDI DENCH My Week with Marilyn

MELISSA MCCARTHY Bridesmaids

OCTAVIA SPENCER The Help

Comment: Carey Mulligan is probably nominated for the wrong film (she was brilliant in Shame), and Melissa McCarthy and Judi Dench don’t have much chance (unless BAFTA decide that either of those films deserve an award). Octavia Spencer is the favourite after her Golden Globe triumph, but I predict Chastain to run her close. Spencer by a hair.

ORIGINAL MUSIC

THE ARTIST Ludovic Bource

THE GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO Trent Reznor, Atticus Ross

HUGO Howard Shore

TINKER TAILOR SOLDIER SPY Alberto Iglesias

WAR HORSE John Williams

Comment: After it’s Golden Globe win in the same category, I expect The Artist to be triumphant.

CINEMATOGRAPHY

THE ARTIST Guillaume Schiffman

THE GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO Jeff Cronenweth

HUGO Robert Richardson

TINKER TAILOR SOLDIER SPY Hoyte van Hoytema

WAR HORSE Janusz Kaminski

Comment: Few will aruge with the suggestion that Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy looked phenomenal, and I think it will win here. Hugo has a shot if BAFTA feel like rewarding 3D, and The Artist could have one of those years where it scoops almost everything it’s nominated for. War Horse is an outside bet.

EDITING

THE ARTIST Anne-Sophie Bion, Michel Hazanavicius

DRIVE Mat Newman

HUGO Thelma Schoonmaker

SENNA Gregers Sall, Chris King

TINKER TAILOR SOLIDER SPY Dino Jonsater

Comment: A glaring omission in this category is David Fincher’s The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, which contained the best editing I’ve seen all year. This award depends on a number of factors. Arguably, The Artist might have a night where it wins every other prize. Alternatively, Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy might have a ‘it probably won’t win any Oscars so let’s frontload it’ ceremony. My brain says The Artist, but I’m going to make a slightly more brave prediction here and go for Senna because it’s edited so differently from all the others – amassed entirely from archive footage, this biopic of the legendary Ayrton Senna is a superb bit of craft, and it’s my pick.

PRODUCTION DESIGN

THE ARTIST Laurence Bennett, Robert Gould

HARRY POTTER AND THE DEATHLY HALLOWS – PART 2 Stuart Craig, Stephenie McMillan

HUGO Dante Ferretti, Francesca Lo Schiavo

TINKER TAILOR SOLDIER SPY Maria Djurkovic, Tatiana MacDonald

WAR HORSE Rick Carter, Lee Sandales

Comment: I think Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy will win here, with The Artist running second.

COSTUME DESIGN

THE ARTIST Mark Bridges

HUGO Sandy Powell

JANE EYRE Michael O’Connor

MY WEEK WITH MARILYN Jill Taylor

TINKER TAILOR SOLDIER SPY Jacqueline Durran

Comment: I anticipate The Artist will triumph again here, though it could be a chance for Jane Eyre or My Week With Marilyn to steal one.

MAKE UP & HAIR

THE ARTIST Julie Hewett, Cydney Cornell

HARRY POTTER AND THE DEATHLY HALLOWS – PART 2 Amanda Knight, Lisa Tomblin

HUGO Morag Ross, Jan Archibald

THE IRON LADY Marese Langan

MY WEEK WITH MARILYN Jenny Shircore 

Comment: Again, the same as the above, though The Iron Lady could cause an upset.

SOUND

THE ARTIST Nadine Muse, Gérard Lamps, Michael Krikorian

HARRY POTTER AND THE DEATHLY HALLOWS – PART 2 James Mather, Stuart Wilson, Stuart Hilliker, Mike Dowson, Adam Scrivener

HUGO Philip Stockton, Eugene Gearty, Tom Fleischman, John Midgley

TINKER TAILOR SOLDIER SPY John Casali, Howard Bargroff, Doug Cooper, Stephen Griffiths, Andy Shelley

WAR HORSE Stuart Wilson, Gary Rydstrom, Andy Nelson, Tom Johnson, Richard Hymns

Comment: The perplexing question here is how could they award it to The Artist? I expect Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy to triumph bar any surprises.

SPECIAL VISUAL EFFECTS

THE ADVENTURES OF TINTIN: THE SECRET OF THE UNICORN Joe Letteri

HARRY POTTER AND THE DEATHLY HALLOWS – PART 2 Tim Burke, John Richardson, Greg Butler, David Vickery

HUGO Rob Legato, Ben Grossman, Joss Williams

RISE OF THE PLANET OF THE APES Joe Letteri, Dan Lemmon, R. Christopher White

WAR HORSE Ben Morris, Neil Corbould

Comment: This is a close one. If Tintin wins ‘Animated Film’ it will probably miss out here. Rise of the Planet of the Apes has a chance if BAFTA feel like honoring the excellent motion-capture, but I expect Hugo to win. Seeing as I’ve predicted it to fall short in most categories, this could be its moment. 

THE ORANGE WEDNESDAYS RISING STAR AWARD (voted for by the public)

ADAM DEACON

CHRIS HEMSWORTH

CHRIS O’DOWD

EDDIE REDMAYNE

TOM HIDDLESTON

Comment: Hiddlestone has had the most prolific year out of the nominees, with parts in Thor, War Horse, The Deep Blue Sea, Archipelago and Midnight in Paris winning him much appraisal. It’s voted by the public, so you never know, but I think he will triumph.

Thoughts/discussion welcome!

Tom Grater

Features & NewsFilm & TVLead articles

Tom is a budding film reviewer, hell bent on providing informed opinions on the latest movie releases to those who need them, whether they like it or not.