Nottingham Forest Blog

A farewell to Nigel

Nottingham Forest Owner and life-long fan Nigel Doughty passed away in his Lincolnshire home last weekend.  He was 54 years old and the co-chairman of a private equity firm named Doughty Hanson & Co.

A philanthropic figure, Doughty had donated over £100 million to the club in his 13 year tenure as owner.  Proud of the club’s roots in European cup history, he encouraged the memory of Brian Clough’s magnificent team, keeping relations with former players and managers a strong as was possible. Doughty resigned as chairman earlier this season after his decision to fire Billy Davies and hire Steve McClaren badly backfired, leaving the club in the relegation zone.  He appointed Frank Clark as his replacement chairman and put the club on the market in search of a buyer.

Doughty was also a renowned Labour party supporter.  As assistant treasurer, he donated £3.6 million to the party before the last election.  He also donated £1 million to Newark hospital to fund an assessment unit. Nigel Doughty leaves his wife Lucy and their two sons, along with his two other children from his previous marriage.  One of his sons, Michael, is a professional footballer, currently on loan at Crawley Town from QPR. Nigel Doughty gave so much to Nottingham Forest.  He was a man who cared deeply about the club and its history.  He will always be remembered for his generosity.  Rarely in this day and age can a football club call their owner a fan.  Nigel Doughty was Forest through thick and thin.

Ollie Barnes

Nottingham Forest BlogSport

Tom is a budding film reviewer, hell bent on providing informed opinions on the latest movie releases to those who need them, whether they like it or not.