Food

Chocolate Swirl Cheesecake

This cheesecake is so simple and is one of my auntie’s favourite desserts to make for family get-togethers; it always goes down a treat wherever it is served and there are very rarely any leftovers. This unfortunately isn’t a secret family recipe, but was originally found on the Good Food website. Regardless, I am going to share with you the delights of this amazing dessert.

What You’ll Need

• 175 grams digestive biscuits
  • 50 grams of unsalted butter
  • 300 grams creamed cheese
  • 200 grams mascarpone
  • 300 grams milk chocolate
  • 100 grams dark chocolate (try to get a cocoa percentage greater than 70%)

How it’s made…

Start by breaking up the digestives until they resemble breadcrumbs (this can be easily done in a blender) then melt the butter and mix with the crumbled digestives. This mixture must then be packed into the base of a greased 20cm springform tin.

Next, melt the milk chocolate and dark chocolate. Make sure you melt them separately; you don’t want to mix them just yet. They can be melted in the microwave but make sure you keep an eye on it as the chocolate can easily burn using this method. Personally, I prefer to melt the chocolate by placing a heatproof bowl over a pan of simmering (not boiling) water, ensuring that the bowl does not touch the water and using the heat of the steam to melt the chocolate. Make sure you don’t get any water in the chocolate though as this can lead to a lumpy mixture.

As the chocolate is melting, mix the creamed cheese and mascarpone, then fold in the melted milk chocolate. Once completely folded in, stir in the melted dark chocolate. You want the mixture to have a streaky appearance, so don’t over-mix it. This streaky mixture can then be spooned into the springform tin, onto the digestive base and then put into the fridge to cool for at least two hours, preferably overnight.

There are some variations to the recipe if you are feeling adventurous; I know that some people replace the butter and digestive biscuits with crumbled Oreos or Bourbon biscuits as the base of the cheesecake. Similarly you can use different chocolates to produce different effects; I have seen white chocolate used with a dark chocolate swirl and milk chocolate with a white chocolate swirl. It is a matter of personal preference and you can play around with any chocolates you like; especially now that companies like Green and Blacks provide such a wide range. Give it a go. You won’t regret it!

Miles Harrison

Food