Lead articles

Friday Gaming News Round-Up

Next generation Xbox rumours, the release of the Playstation Vita and new revelations concerning Assassins Creed 3; the past few days have been ripe with gaming news and I’ve put together the highlights for your veiwing pleasure.

Next Generation Xbox Rumours
Rumours that the next Xbox may be codenamed ‘Durango’ circulated after a tweet by Sean Tracy of Crytech referred to a “Durango developers summit”; the tweet was speedily deleted. According to IGN, the microsoft successor will be shipped to retailers in late august of 2013 and the console’s raw graphics processing power is expected to be six times that of the current Xbox 360. Xbox World Magazine also reported the inclusion of a touchscreen, writing that the controller will be “an HD screen surrounded by the traditional 360 buttons and sticks”. Of course, much of this is bound to be largely speculative.

Thatgamecompany discusses future releases
Now that Thatgamecompany have fulfilled their three game contract with Sony, having developed Flow, Flower and Journey exclusively for the system, the group seems to be exploring the possibility of making future releases multi-platform. Company leader Jenova Chen said,  “Right now we are very much exploring ways to bring our games to a bigger audience, beyond just PlayStation. We are still in the process of negotiating, but I hope that we can announce it [soon].”

Playstation Vita sales results announced
Sony announced worldwide sales figures for the new portable system, the Playstation Vita. The handheld device is reportedly selling over 1.2 million units worldwide. Whilst this pales in comparison to the sales of the Nintendo 3DS, Sony have announced that they “couldn’t be more thrilled with the reaction we’re seeing from consumers and the pace at which PS Vita is selling.”

Sniper Elite V2
Sniper Elite V2 (the sequel to 2005’s Sniper Elite) is offering an interesting bonus to customers who pre-order the game. Those who did will be treated to an extra mission entitled “Kill the Führer” where the player will have to assisinate Adolf Hitler as he returns from Berchtesgaden to Berlin via his personal train. Sniper Elite V2 is set for a Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and PC release on May 4th in the UK.

Assassins Creed 3 details leaked
Images leaked by a Best Buy worker suggest that Assassins Creed 3 will debut on 30th October. This has yet to be confirmed by Ubisoft but what has been confirmed is that the game will take place during the American civil war. Leaked images show an armed Native-American assassin wearing an 18th century military Jacket. Can we expect an Abraham Lincoln assassination mission? Only time will tell…

Tom Mackay 

Lead articles
  • Eric John