Lead articles

“Let the Campaigning Begin” – SU Elections 2012 Officially Launched

This afternoon, the 2012 SU elections officially kicked off with the Campaign Launch, which was held in the Student’s Union Hub. Candidates had the chance to meet their potential rivals, discussing campaigning strategies and manifestos. They were interviewed by both NUTS and URN and most responded enthusiastically, engaging with the questions and providing some amusing slogans. As we have come to expect from the elections, they were sporting promotional t-shirts as well as home-made fancy dress costumes.

The general atmosphere was one of anticipation and cordiality from all the candidates. The ample food supply ensured everyone was eating and chatting until 12 o’ clock, when the official campaigning began. The event was viewed with little curiosity from passers-by, which eyed the Hub with suspicion as Aretha Franklin and The Supremes blared from speakers inside.

The candidates will now campaign to convince students to vote for them, using whichever method they see fit in accordance with the SU’s rules and regulations. For the joy of students and staff alike, strangely dressed candidates will be campaigning around campus, until voting opens this Friday 9th March at noon. Voting will close at 5 pm Friday 16th March, with the hope that 2012 will see a high turnout of voters. Good luck to candidates and  let the campaigns begin.

Marta Rezzano

Lead articlesNewsSU Elections