Lead articles

Postgrad Candidate Removed From SU Elections

Reuben Kirkham, a candidate in the election for Postgraduate Students’ Officer, has had his candidacy removed by Elections Committee.

Danny Barry, Democracy and Communications Officer, stated: “It is always a great shame when candidates have to have their candidacy removed and this is not a decision that Elections Committee has reached lightly, indeed this kind of sanction is always considered a last resort. I would like to take this opportunity to commend Elections Committee members on their professionalism and hard work throughout these Elections. I would also like to wish Reuben all the best in the future and I look forward to continuing to work with him for the remainder of the academic year. Reuben does have the right to appeal this decision and it would be remiss of me to comment further on the issue should he wish to take up this option”.

In a statement to Impact, Kirkham said: “I am very much saddened that Elections Commitee have decided to remove me from the election and that Postgraduates will, at this point in time, not have the opportunity to choose who they would like to represent them for the third year running. I do not believe that I have done anything wrong or that would undermine the electoral process, rather that I have encouraged legitimate public debate in the full spirit of democracy. I also believe that the complaints made questioning the compliance of the elections with the Equal Opportunities Policy are very unfortunate and I will continue to represent these on behalf of my constituents. As I will be appealing this decision to Select Committee, I won’t be commenting in specific detail about the allegations which Elections Committee have made against me, other than to say that they are unfounded and are not consistent with the fair and free elections that Nottingham’s students fully deserve. I look forward towards Select Committee hopefully resolving this state of affairs and towards participating in future elections.”

Laura Theobald is still running for the position of Postgraduate Officer.

Lead articlesNewsSU Elections
  • Julius Caeser