Elections

Postgraduate Officer Result

Listen: Laura Theobald on winning Postgraduate Officer

Laura Theobald has been elected as the incoming Postgraduate Officer with an overwhelming 261 votes. A first year Masters student in Women and Gender History, Laura Theobald has “always been really passionate about student government”. She was involved in the Students Union of her University in California during her undergraduate programme, and has been PGSA secretary in Nottingham. Theobald held the positions of elections chair and was on the social affairs committee (activities board) as well as participating in the organisation of various events. Within Nottingham University, she is involved in Dance Society.

Her manifesto pledges include working on expanding financial aid; she believes that tuition fees should be raised fairly by expanding on financial aid through bursaries and scholarships. She adds that only two scholarships are currently available for postgraduates who are American citizens. Her second pledge is to establish a postgraduate area in the library. This is because postgraduates, arts students specifically, can no longer study in a social setting since the loss of the Arts Center.

Finally, Theobald believes that Week One should be made more inclusive of all students. She believes that Freshers’ week is currently centered around alcohol-related events, which is a problem for postgraduates who don not want to drink, or are older and don not want to attend club events. She is looking to promote events like comedy nights and bowling which are “not necessarily focused on alcohol and are more conducive to conversation and meeting and talking to people. As well as club events for those postgraduates who want to go to them.”

ElectionsNewsResults NightSU Elections
  • Overwhelming?