Lead articles

Uni extend their unbeaten record in the Pool to lead the Varsity series 2-1

The Uni swim team showed their strength in depth as they extended their perfect record over Trent with a 313 to 182 point win. Despite the team missing their Captain, Katie Ambridge, who was away with the Great Britain Olympic squad, the Girls Team led the way and achieved a much talked about ‘whitewash’, whilst the Boys Team won 9 out of their 12 events.

In an event that the Nottingham Uni Team were heavily tipped in, it was a nervous start as the first two men’s events, Individual Medley and Butterfly, went to Trent. However, this was only a jitter and encouraged by the strength of the girls’ performances, they recovered strongly. Events of note were Uni’s 1-2-3 finishes in the Female Butterfly and Backstroke, both 50m and 100m, with Alice Morgan winning both Butterfly events and Emma Oliver and Rebecca Browning taking the Backstroke events respectively.

Not to be outdone, the boys responded strongly, worried by a score of 150 to 98 at half-time which was closer than Uni had anticipated. Matt Smith and Danny Anderson led the charge as they won both their 50 and 100m events, putting Uni in an unassailable position in the team races.

Uni enforced their superiority in the relays as their second string squad defeated Trent’s 1st team in both the Male and Female events. However, it was the ‘Skins’ event that truly showed Uni’s strength in depth and fitness.

The ‘Skins’ event is a knockout competition for three swimmers from each team, taking place over five rounds, whereby a different stroke is announced ahead of the race and the loser is eliminated. Uni made it the ideal end as in both the Men’s and Ladies’ events the Uni swimmers were the last man (or woman) standing; Alice Morgan coming out on top for the girls and Matt Smith for the boys.

As the Swim Team emphatically put Uni 2-1 up in the Varsity series, attention now turns to the American Football’s ‘Friday Night Lights’.

Jake Batty

To see our upcoming pictures of the Swimming event, please ‘like’ our Varsity Facebook page.

Lead articlesSport