Lead articles

Varsity Win Caps Off Perfect Season for Netball Girls

Uni girls maintained composure to win a gruelling match 46-38, finishing a fantastic season that included a BUCS cup and league win.

As the game got underway, the tone was set by Uni from the first centre. The speed of Uni’s wing attack Anna Cousins was noticeable, whilst the agility of goal attack Jennifer Catlow was witnessed by the eager crowd. With both sides having to work hard when in possession to get round vigilant sets of defences, with Uni’s Harriet Johnston at wing defence in particular exerting pressure on Trent’s attack, the game continued in a tense manner. As the first quarter ended, the scores were set at 11-11, a reflection of the tough nature of play.

In the second quarter, the score line remained tight, with each side working impeccably. However, 5 minutes into the quarter, after a series of good shots from Trent, Uni were three goals down and the tension in the crowd and from those on the bench was evident.

Thanks to stubborn defending from Uni and some well earned turn-overs and interceptions, the side made their way back into the game. The impressive ball skills from centre, Sophie Freemantle, feeding perfectly timed balls into the circle to Rochelle Powell and Jennifer Catlow, capitalised on the possession.

At half time, the scores were even once more and stood at 20-20. Again, Uni were fighting for the victory they deserved. Trent, however, still remained strong, with changes made at half time reflecting their desire to beat their opponents. Despite this, Uni continued to show their focused attitude; crucial interceptions were made by key goal defence Laura Juniper, as well as fantastic rebounds and a perfect lean from Goal Keeper, Erynn Oliver.

If the Uni team were tired, they did not show it, their defence and attack continuing to push the game in their favour. Impressive interceptions from Anna Cousins and Sophie Freemantle saw the third quarter finish 30-30.

Changes made in the last quarter included Captain Taryn going on as goal attack, bringing a new sense of determination and grit to the Uni team.

As the final quarter commenced, with Captain Taryn Belcher-Brown moving to goal attack, it was sure to be a tight end to a dramatic game. But Uni rose to the challenge, and they finally managed to breakdown a strong Trent defence through waves of pressure. Within the last two minutes, Uni threw themselves into the game, taking their chances as Trent wasted theirs.

When the final whistle went, Uni fans erupted for their well-earnt victory. The game, ending with a score line of 38-46 was tighter than expected and the Uni team had shown real talent and grit to achieve this.

Ashley Cooke

To see our pictures of the Netball match, please ‘like’ our Varsity Facebook page.

Lead articlesSport