Lead articles

Dutty Moonshine Review

It is never an easy task having to follow Wheatus on a festival bill. Unless you have something more widely recognised than ‘Teenage Dirtbag’, it would be almost impossible. This was the inalienable challenge Reading/Oxford duo, Dutty Moonshine, faced as they took to the stage.

As the crowd dispersed, scrambling towards the various stalls, Dutty Moonshine opened with their mix of ‘electro-swing’, dubstep, drum and bass and hip hop. This is a combination of genres never before fused together, setting them apart from the other acts on the bill. Within moments of their 45 minute set, the crowd size appeared to gradually increase once again. Their original sound, described as “drum and bass, mixed with the old vintage stuff”, proved popular, incorporating the swing genre associated with the 1920’s and 1930’s with more recent and well-known artists such as The Clash and Eminem.

Dutty Moonshine had an interesting stage presence – jumping around frantically whilst occasionally swigging from the beer bottles next to them. They seemed to know their set inside out, singing almost all the words to each track that blared out across the straw-infested field. The best word to describe their sound would, undoubtedly, be ‘infectious’. It was impossible not to dance to their eccentric and quirky tunes, with the crowd turning their performance into one big outdoor rave.

The worry with experimental genres such as this is that there is always the danger of each song merging into one continuous and, in some cases, monotonous sound. However, this is a trap Dutty Moonshine were more than capable of avoiding. The crowd’s positive reaction to each and every pounding beat validated this. The duo definitely left their mark on this year’s Summer Party. If they are able to make an equally successful impact on the entire music industry, there is no doubt that big things lie in store for these guys.

Josh Levy

Lead articlesMusic