This Issue

From BNOC to BNOI: Top Tips to Working the White Isle

So it’s that time of year again; just what are you going to do this summer? Sure, South America is cultured, and of course that internship is going to look good on your CV, but why not do something a bit more daring? For people with a hedonistic head, there is simply one solution…book a one-way ticket and do the season in IBIZA! It’s time to swap your BNOC for a BNOI (Big Name On Ibiza) and follow my top tips to becoming the next big name of ‘beefa’.

Once you’ve booked your one way ticket, you are nearly ready to make your mark on the white isle, but don’t worry about booking accommodation or jobs before you get there; there’s plenty to go round! Upon arrival, make your first port of call The Ship Inn ? the centre of your universe for jobs and apartments, located at the top of the notorious West End.

Accommodation is essential when establishing your reputation; with hundreds of workers’ apartments all over San Antonio, it’s a tough choice to make. However, by far the best is the new complex Es Pon. Originally intended for luxury holiday rentals, with a sunset view to rival Café Mambo, last year the workers took over and this now infamous complex has a party reputation that competes with most of the super clubs!

An important point to remember is that you are not simply a tourist and you haven’t just come to party; in order to be a worker, you need a job. From fire-breathing to body painting, Ibiza has it all. When it comes to job-hunting, the only rule is to avoid the West End, Ibiza’s answer to Magaluf, a strip of cheesy bars that share a stench similar to that of the Ocean toilets at the end of a Friday night. Apart from that, I’d say try and go for a part commission, part basic salary job, as this means you’re still earning even if you’re huddled in the shade recovering from hangover and you can also earn a fortune when you want to!

Before committing to anything, make sure that you check what you’re expected to wear ? especially on the boat parties. Trust me, what may look like an angel outfit when you’re at sea, quickly translates into underwear back on shore. Definitely an awkward situation to explain to the parents when they plan a surprise visit…needless to say, that job didn’t last long! So don’t worry if you don’t find your perfect job straightaway; the best things come to those who wait.

Now that you’ve got your highflying job, you’re well on your way to becoming a BNOI. But on the white isle, it’s all about being seen in the right places, so where are these renowned hangouts? Simple: anywhere cheap or discounted and definitely nowhere touristy! So forget Pacha and Privilege. You’re a worker now; think underground! In fact, Underground is one of the newest clubs of the scene and fast becoming legendary. Located in a certain A-Lister’s former villa on the middle of the island, Underground is definitely your thing if you are into dirty, outrageous house parties. However, if you want something a bit more unique, try DC10, the converted aircraft hanger located right next to the runway at Ibiza airport. For tech heads, it’s the place to be. Mondays are the most popular nights at this location but not for the workers; for you, it’s all about Wednesdays.

So now you know all the basics, all that’s left to do is go and find it out for yourself. Buy a new swimsuit, go get a wax (probably more for the girls) and get yourself over there. See you on the white isle!

Hannah Johnson

This IssueTravel