Nottingham University establishes links with Africa

The University of Nottingham has once again extended its global arm by opening an office in Accra, Ghana on April 17th. Opened by the British High Commissioner Peter Jones, the initiative signals further commitment to improving the University’s participation in the growing field of globalised academia. Mr. Jones was enthusiastic about the new venture: “Education is highly valued in West Africa and I’m sure the University of Nottingham will benefit greatly from this endeavour.”

The office will help to co-ordinate pooled research and encourage student and staff mobility between the University of Nottingham and African universities, notably the University of Ghana and Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology. Speaking about the venture, Mr. Jones said “I know that Nottingham’s staff and students will be warmly welcomed during study and research periods here.”

The opening aims to further cultivate Nottingham’s reputation as a truly global university, adding to similar projects in Brazil and Mexico, as well as in China and Malaysia, where Nottingham has university campuses. The opening comes after a visit from His Excellency Berhanu Kebede, Ambassador of the Federal Democratic Republic of Ethiopia, who came to the University of Nottingham on March 13th to sign new collaborations in teaching and research.

Rob Moher