Lead articles

The Olympic Torch And The Chris Moyles Show To Reach Nottingham

The Olympic torch will reach Nottingham on Thursday, the 41st day of the Olympic Torch Relay. It will then leave, from Nottingham Castle at 8.14am on Friday, via Castle Boulevard, Lenton Boulevard and Derby Road, as well as the University of Nottingham’s Jubilee Campus at around 8.49am, on its way to Derby.

The torch will visit the National Ice Centre, which is putting on an Ice Gala at 5.15pm, where Nottingham’s very own Torvill and Dean will perform a routine with the torch, before it heads to Old Market Square at 6.54pm.

Nottinghamshire County Council have advised that anyone who wishes to see the torch should come down an hour in advance, and that journey’s need to be planned ahead of time due to multiple road closures.

Councillor John Cottee said that, “This is a chance for Nottinghamshire people to be part of history and take part in a once in a lifetime event.”

To accompany the torch’s visit, there will be a range of events hosted in Old Market Square between 5.15pm-7.30pm. The show will display a range of talent, both local and national, as well as events organised by Coca Cola, Lloyds TSB and Samsung, the Presenting Partners of the Olympic Torch Relay for London 2012. There will also be other events going on throughout the evening and into the night, as well as special offers as part of Nottingham’s Big Night Out, in celebration of the Olympic flame tour.

The Olympic torch is not the only visitor coming to Nottingham. Having been travelling around, following the torch’s route to places like Aberystwyth, Belfast, Exeter and Edinburgh, the Chris Moyles Show announced this morning that it will be reaching Nottingham on Thursday and broadcasting their show on Friday morning, from the UoN’s own radio station, URN.

When discussing the station, they described the facilities as apparently “second to none”, and the jingle as “clearer than ours.” Listeners of today’s show were also treated to a series of URN clips, including Ali and Arthur, Chloe and Jenna and Matt, Liam and Sam. Friday’s show will air at 6.30am till 10am.

For more information on the torch’s route, events and road closures visit: http://www.nottinghamcity.gov.uk/

Ellis Schindler

Lead articlesNews