Lead articles

The Queen To Visit Nottingham

As part of her Diamond Jubilee tour, the Queen will pass through in Nottingham, accompanied by Prince William and Kate Middleton, on Wednesday 13th June. Initially, the Duke of Edinburgh was also meant to be one of the royal party but unfortunately he may be kept away due to having been hospitalised with a bladder infection.

The group will travel from the train station by car at 10:05am, through Middle Pavement, Albert Street and Wheeler Gate, to Old Market Square, where they are scheduled to arrive at approximately 10:10am. They will then greet the crowds before proceeding into the Council House to meet the Lords Lieutenant of Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire, amongst others, before coming out on to the balcony to wave to the crowd, while the National Anthem is played.

At 10.55am, they will head over to Vernon Park, in Basford, via Queen Street and Upper Parliament Street, arriving at 11am. Here, the Queen will unveil a plaque to acknowledge the park’s new found Queen Elizabeth II Field Status, meaning that it will now be preserved. The park is opening its doors to guests from 8.30am, and there will be music and sports events running from 10am-2pm in honour of Her Majesty’s visit.

There will be disruption to trams, cars and buses, with many roads being closed. Commenting on the impact the event will have on the city, Councillor Jon Collins said, “As the capital of the East Midlands, it is great that Nottingham is playing host to this royal visit. I’m sure that local people will give the royal party a warm welcome and will be excited about getting the chance to also see the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge.”

Ellis Schindler

Lead articlesNews