The University of Nottingham at the Olympics

The University of Nottingham will have a strong presence in this year’s summer Olympics. Several students have been chosen to carry the Olympic flame through the city’s streets, and another student is to have her film played on big screens across the country. The University’s ‘Any-body Month’ sport-for-all initiative has also been awarded with backing by London 2012 for a second year running.

Students Taylor Amerman, Chris Hill and research fellow Dannie Carpenter, from the school of Biology, have been chosen to carry the Olympic flame through the streets of Nottingham as part of the 70-day torch relay across Britain. They were chosen through Samsung’s Torch Relay nomination program for their position as ‘local heroes’ in the Nottingham community. The torch is due to arrive in Nottingham on the 28th June, day 41 of the Olympic Torch Relay.

Nottingham’s 3rd year Psychology and Cognitive Neuroscience student, Megan Salter, is also to be honoured during the Olympic games. Her film Hath Not a Child Ability? won the London 2012’s Film Nation Shorts competition and will be played at Olympic and Paralympic venues across the country as part of the Cultural Olympiad. The film was made by Salter and her school friend Sara Harrak last year, and explores the Olympic and Paralympic themes of courage, determination, inspiration and respect. The film has over 1700 likes on the competition’s website, and has been openly praised by the London 2012 Chair, Sebastian Coe, who said that he was delighted that the short film had been recognised by the Cultural Olympiad, saying that it “is simple but really impactful”.

The ‘Any-body Month’ sports-for-all initiative has also been recognised by the London 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games body. They were awarded the Inspire 2012 mark in 2011 – an Olympic-related award that promotes inspirational changes in sport, education and volunteering – and this has led to them securing funding for a second successive year. The sports-for-all programme encourages involvement in sport and active lifestyles, and has also been openly praised by Lord Coe.  

Antonia Paget 

NewsSport