Live Review: Delphic, Rescue Rooms (26/10/12)

Stockport-based Delphic returned to Nottingham’s Rescue Rooms, still buzzing from their 2009 release ‘Acolyte’. This year they wrote the song ‘Good Life’ for the Olympics and their experienced set was hard to beat.

In support was Electronic DJ, D/R/U/G/S. When on stage, the visually dynamic display that was projected onto the screens was impressive, yet the songs did not live up to the spectacles surrounding it. D/R/U/G/S mixes sounded all too similar, and the drops lacked any real punch, resulting in a seemingly prolonged set. He simultaneously failed to hype up the audience, leaving the real performance task to the headliners, Delphic.

There was no need to worry though; the band came on with the hard hitting ‘Good Life’, which was fresh in everyone’s minds from London 2012. From that moment on, the crowd were singing along and the memories of the poor performance by the support act were quickly forgotten. The band was tight and the electronic drops were heavy, with the audience responding well to the excessive amount of bass. With the album coming out nearly three years ago, every song felt like a hit, the audience loved it, and it felt almost as though this was a greatest hit set.

The band followed up the Olympic anthem with ‘Halcyon’, one of the most well-known songs off ‘Acolyte’, the emphatic “give me something to believe in” was blared out by frontman James Cook. Cook really pumped up the crowd, cupping his hand to his ear, constantly arousing more and more noise from the fans. The crowd responded, and with every extra decibel the crowds got louder and louder, and Cook, fuelled by the response, increased his own energetic performance. Guitarist Matt Cocksedge never faltered in his performance either, and his long solos were accompanied perfectly by heavy drum beats and experienced synth playing. The flow from one track to the next was well synchronised. Unlike the support act however, each song stood out in its own right and all for the right reasons.

For ‘Red Light’ and ‘Doubt’ the band allowed the audience to sing it, encouraging them to keep going, clearly still feeding off the vibes from the fans. Although many have criticized Delphic about the length of time between the release dates of each of their albums, if the band still loves performing to their older tracks, why should they stop touring? This aside, in a recent interview with Zane Lowe on Radio 1, the band confirmed that a new release is due out sometime in 2013, and with this year’s ‘Good Life’ also being Zane Lowe’s ‘Hottest Record In The World’, I think we can expect amazing things from the new release.

The band finished the set with the 2009 hit ‘Counterpoint’ as well as the title track from their album ’Acolyte’. ‘Counterpoint’ was a standout performance in a set that was lively and well executed. The proclamation of “nothing’s wrong today” really summed up the set; the band did nothing wrong, they worked the crowd, they played their songs to perfection and at some points added extended electronic drops that shook the speakers to a whole new level. After ‘Acolyte’ Delphic thanked the crowd and walked off, not returning at the calls from the crowd for an encore. But from the look on the crowd’s faces, everyone knew.  Delphic were not going to remain backstage of the music scene for much longer…

Daniel Jones

…Dan has been listening to The Crookes – Yes, Yes, We Are Magicians…

GigsMusic