Lead articles

QMC Mental Health Wards Relocate

Two of the mental health wards within the Queen’s Medical Centre are set to relocate.

Both wards will be relocating to Bulwell’s Highbury Hospital, a hospital known for its mental health expertise within Nottingham.

Ward B50, which deals with elderly mental health patients, is set to move early next year to free more beds within QMC and allow for emergency admission to patients. The move is happening at the request of Nottingham University Hospitals Trust, as they need the beds to manage winter pressures.

In light of the move, student advice line Nightline stated that they wish to “offer their services to anyone who may have been affected by the relocation, should they want someone to talk to.” They also acknowledged that the move may affect certain students in some way or another.

The final decision on the second ward, A23, is yet to be made but it’s expected to follow B50 and relocate later next year. It’s predicted that the move will mean an increase of 80 beds in QMC. This will help avoid the problems that occurred last winter when the trust was forced to postpone operations following an increase in the number of people using its emergency department. QMC is however expected to keep its emergency department psychiatric wards.

Fears of job losses and pay cuts have also plagued the staff stationed at both wards, however, no job cuts have been announced at this time. Instead Nottingham University Hospitals Trust hopes the move will lead to a higher standard of care and modern facilities for both staff and patients alike.

Victoria Ibitoye

Lead articlesNews