Lead articles

Serena Blows the Field Away in Istanbul

Serena Williams blew Maria Sharapova away winning her third end of season WTA championships 6-4, 6-3 to finish the week without dropping a single set.

Victoria Azarenka will finish the season as world number one despite falling at the semi-finals but it was Williams who ended the season with her seventh title of the year. The second half of the season has seen the American pick up the Wimbledon title followed by the Olympic gold in London and the US Open title in New York.

Serena dominated the match on serve and her Russian opponent did not get much of a look in at all as she was blown away by the power of Williams. Without ever needing to play her best tennis this week she defeated the world’s number one and two to prove why even at the age of thirty-one she belongs at the top of the women’s game. Perhaps it also highlights the lack of depth in women’s’ tennis as on her day, there isn’t a player that can come close to matching Williams’ game.

Her form since losing in the first round on her least favoured clay courts at the French Open have seen her winning record rocket to 31-1. Adding to her impressive winning record she has won the last thirteen matches against the top four ranked players. If she can avoid injury, it will be difficult to see anybody stopping her from winning her sixteenth major in Melbourne in January but from a viewer’s perspective, it would be good to see Azarenka resurrect the form which saw her reach world number one earlier in the season. Perhaps if she does, another Williams’ grand slam title won’t be a foregone conclusion.

Elsewhere in tennis, Juan Martin Del Potro won a tight affair in Basle to claim the title 6-4, 6-7, 7-6. Del Potro has assured his place in the ATP Finals which take place at the O2 Arena in London in just a few weeks’ time. Federer himself recognised that the Argentine deserved the victory having lost 19-17 in a deciding set in the third set of the semi-finals of the Olympic tournament at Wimbledon.

David Ferrer won another Valencia Open title against the Ukrainian Alexandr Dolgopolov 6-1, 3-6, 6-4 and dedicated his victory to the former world number one, Juan Carlos Ferrero who was watching in the stands as he announced earlier in the week his retirement from the professional game. It was the Spaniard’s sixth tournament victory of the year.

The Paris Masters starts on Monday as the games top players look to find there rhythm before the big event in London starts on 5 November.

Yannick Mitchell

Lead articlesSport