Food

Auntie Graciela’s Lasagne

This is my Auntie Graciela’s lasagne recipe, which in my opinion is the best lasagne recipe in the world! Of course I may be a little biased but it is SO good. Every time she comes over to visit us from Argentina we always insist that she cooks this for us. She has Italian ancestors and so a lot of her recipes involve pasta which she usually makes from scratch but for this recipe I am choosing to start from shop bought dried pasta (because it’s easier)!

Ingredients

3 tablespoons olive oil

1 lb/454g minced meat (pork/beef)

1 onion finely chopped

1 clove garlic peeled

3-4 tablespoons tomato concentrate

1 pint water

salt and pepper

8oz/227g lasagne

12oz/340g soft slicing cheese eg. bel paese or fontina

butter for greasing

grated parmesan cheese

Method

1. Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Add meat, onion and garlic. Stir well and fry gently until meat is brown. Take the garlic out and discard.

2. Dilute tomato concentrate with water and add to the meat. Stir. Add salt and pepper.

3. Cover and simmer for 1 hour.

4. Prepare a large pan with plenty of boiling salted water. Add the remaining tablespoon of olive oil.

5. Wet a clean white cloth with water. Squeeze dry and spread on table. When water is bubbling drop 3-4 lasagne oblongs into it. Cook until they rise to the surface (10-15mins).

6. Preheat the oven to 180°c/350°F/Gas mark 4. Remove pasta with draining spoon and place onto the cloth to drain.

7. Slice cheese as thinly as possible.

8. Grease an oblong baking dish with butter.

9. Arrange a layer of lasagne on the bottom. Spread with meat and then cheese. Repeat this for the next layer/s until your dish is almost full.

10. Top with meat and cheese. Sprinkle the grated parmesan on top. Bake in the oven for 30-45 minutes.

Take out of the oven and enjoy. If you’re feeling in the sharing mood maybe invite some friends over too!

Helen Jackson

Food