Lead articles

Alt-J Win 2012 Mercury Prize

Favourites Alt-J beat strong competition tonight to claim the 2012 Mercury Prize for their debut album ‘An Awesome Wave’ in a ceremony held at London’s Roundhouse.

The ceremony, presented by Lauren Laverne, featured performances from all twelve nominees for the prestigious prize. Leeds-based Alt-J join the elite list of previous winners of the £20,000 prize, including Elbow, Arctic Monkeys and Dizzee Rascal.

Reacting to the announcement, Alt-J immediately thanked their parents for “not making them get  jobs”. They further admitted to not even daring to imagine winning the award despite their tags as favourites since the album’s release in May. Humble in victory, Alt-J went on to praise their fellow nominees and called them a “pleasure to work alongside”.

Simon Firth, chair of judges for the Mercury Prize, praised ‘An Awesome Wave’, calling it “a combination of unexpected shards of sound with mesmerising rhythms, compelling melodies and intriguing songs. A tantalising and delightful album.”

Alt-J will be playing Nottingham’s Rock City in May. This announcement could just be the beginning for Alt-J and their May gig will be something to look forward to.

You can listen to Alt-J’s winning album below.

Liam Coleman

Lead articlesMusic
  • dan
    1 November 2012 at 22:39