Music

Impact Meets Dog is Dead

The Nottingham music scene is really going through quite the purple patch right now. Described by a Guardian article as one of the most interesting music scenes in the UK at the moment, Nottingham has a lot to be excited about for its musical talent.

Dog is Dead are one of the most exciting bands from the Nottingham music scene and have always been very proud of their West Bridgford upbringing. In the build up to the release of their debut album All Our Favourite Stories, Impact was lucky enough to chat to lead singer Robert Milton about life in Dog is Dead.

We open our chat by talking about the band’s upcoming debut album. At the time Rob admits to being “pretty scared but proud of the album” and full of confidence that everyone was going to enjoy it. He suggests that the album “seems like quite a bipolar album” due to it being a result of the inevitable highs and lows that come with being a band growing up together.

When I press Rob on this in greater detail, he puts forward that “every single song on the album represents to us a different part of our growing up and in that sense it has the universal idea of love and loss”. This album really feels like a rite of passage for the whole band and it is therefore clear to see the emotional attachment that goes with this record for the band.

In terms of the sound of the album, Rob has a very basic philosophy. “The only real influence on our sound seems to be music in general,” he explains, “We obviously listen to a lot of music so take in a sound from there but we could never name any particular influences”.

I ask the band about potential pressure from both the media and Atlantic records; the media have built Dog is Dead’s debut release up a lot and Atlantic records see it as one of their most important releases. Rob, however, is pretty relaxed about the whole thing. “We didn’t really ever feel any pressure [from the media] and we made sure we signed for a label that shared our vision for the band. What we’re doing with the album is the same as the last 5 years, just on a bigger scale”.

We then move the discussion onto upcoming live dates and the band’s plans for the future. Rob is very excited about the album launch party at the historic Boat Club in West Bridgford: he seems to see this as the ideal springboard for the album and “a special gig for Nottingham”.

I follow this up by making the obscene suggestion that the band might fancy putting their feet up after the hard work of their debut album, but Rob jokes “if we just had a few days off we’d probably already have written the 3rd and 4th records”. Dog is Dead seem to absolutely love touring the country and have also recently announced a homecoming show at Rock City for March, which could prove to be a joyous return for some of Nottingham’s most exciting talents.

Liam Coleman

Music