AU Spotlight: Badminton

Nottingham University Badminton Club enjoyed smashing success last season. The club achieved silver status as an AU club, which does not only give them a better stand at Freshers’ Fair but also increases funding and training. The accolade is owed to a growth in membership and numerous victories in the local and BUCS leagues.

Out of the ten teams entered in local leagues, seven of them achieved promotion and there were no relegations. The Men’s 1sts were promoted to the Premier Division – a fantastic achievement – while the Mixed 1sts solidly reinforced their right to be in the Premier Division by finishing fifth. The Ladies teams also enjoyed huge success over the past sporting season with both the Ladies 1sts and 2nds being promoted to the First and Third Divisions respectively.

The teams encountered a few difficulties last year; there were struggles in finding a consistent team for BUCS and in the local league, and there was a minor points penalty regarding the use of starred players in lower league matches. Yet despite this, all the teams were successful.

For this season? Well,  the pressure is on!  Although the club had a huge turnover in both the Men’s and Ladies’ teams this year, the trials have successfully brought new talent to light, including a Kenyan international and a sports bursary beneficiary. As a result, the hope and expectations for this season are justifiably high.

There is a lot of competition for the squad but the club welcomes players of all abilities and talents. The main reason why the club achieved silver status at the end of last year was for its inclusivity and popularity as a university sport. This year in December, the club is trying to break a world record for the greatest number of people in a successive rally, which will be an exciting yet challenging feat and is inclusive of all members.

Session Times: There are social club sessions which run three times a week: Wednesdays 7-9pm and Fridays 7-10.30pm at University Park Sports Centre, and Saturdays 7-9pm at Jubilee Sports Centre.

Colette Davies

• AU Spotlight: Badminton – Impact Magazine | Badminton Star
    10 December 2012 at 01:36