Trailer Watch – 21/12/12

Although Christmas is almost upon us, this week’s edition of Trailer Watch looks ahead to Summer 2013, as we’re treated to a whole host of trailer gems, including Terrence Malick’s latest project To The Wonder,  Seth Rogen’s This Is The End and JJ Abrams’ highly anticipated Star Trek Into Darkness.

Star Trek Into Darkness

So next year sees the release of a little sequel called Star Trek Into Darkness. The sequel sees the crew of the USS Enterprise return home only to find Starfleet, and Earth itself in disarray following an attack from a one man weapon of destruction. The intrepid heroes soon find themselves embroiled in a “chess game of life and death” after pursuing the attacker to a war-zone world, which Trekkies might gleam from the teaser trailer, doesn’t seem to work out well for everyone on the Enterprise

The ensemble cast of 2009’s Star Trek are joined by several new faces, including Alice Eve as Dr. Carol Marcus and Benedict Cumberbatch’s villain allegedly named “John Harrison” (is he Gary Mitchell or Khan Noonien Singh?) but we’ll have to wait till 17 May 2013 to find out if he is who JJ Abrams says he is.

This Is The End

A topical release, given the end of the world this morning, Seth Rogen’s latest comedy This Is The End, revolves around the survival attempt of a group of Hollywood actors (Seth Rogen, James Franco, Jay Baruchel, Jonah Hill, Danny McBride and Craig Robinson) in the aftermath of a global apocalypse. Primarily consisting of a slightly stir crazy introduction by Rogen and Franco, who are supposedly holed up in the latter’s basement, the trailer does little to give away any plot details and instead largely focuses on James Franco’s sexual preferences and Hill’s acting abilities. With a host of cameo appearances including Emma Watson, Paul Rudd, Jason Segel and Rihanna, This is The End promises an abundence of tongue gross out humour and celebrity ridicule. Assuming we survive expect This Is The End on 28 June 2013.

The Great Gatsby

To an arguably misplaced burst of Kanye West and Jay Z’s ‘No Church In The Wild’, comes the second glitzy trailer for Baz Lurhman’s The Great Gatsby. The fate of this potentially over indulgent adaptation of F. Scott Fitzgerald’s seminal novel of the same name rests in the hands of its stellar cast. Leonardo Di Caprio plays the titular Jay Gatsby, whose enigmatic lifestyle gains the attention of Tobey Maguire’s Nick Carraway, who becomes entangled in the complicated and tragic love life of the young millionaire. The Great Gatsby’s superb cast is completed by the likes of Carey Mulligan, Isla Fisher, Joel Edgerton and Jason Clarke, and is released in the UK on May 17th 2013.

Pain & Gain

In typically insane Michael Bay fashion, the director’s latest venture is an action comedy based on the story of two men who ended up on death row. This time his victims, I mean stars include Mark Wahlberg, Anthony Mackie and Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson as a trio of Miami body-builders  who run afoul of Ed Harris’ Private Detective after a botched kidnapping job. Expect explosions, scantily clad women and well, explosions when Pain & Gain is released on 3rd May 2012.

To the Wonder

Terrence Malick’s first post-The Tree of Life project stars Ben Affleck as Neil who begins to fall for Rachel McAdam’s Jane after his marriage to a French woman, Marina (Olga Kurylenko) falls apart. The gentle tones of Javier Bardem’s narration provide a soothing accompaniment to Malick’s trademark landscape shots, creating an absolutely spellbinding trailer that regardless of the polarized reception to the director’s previous venture will guarantee that To The Wonder’s February 22nd release date gets marked in any cinephile’s diary.

Malcolm Remedios

Click here for more from Trailer Watch.

Which of these films are you most looking forward to? Let us know via Facebook and Twitter, or leave a comment.

Film & TVTrailers