University Hopper Buses Suspended

The University of Nottingham hopper bus services will be suspended as of today, according to a statement on the UoN Facebook page.

This comes after East Midlands bus firm Premiere Travel, who operate the hopper service, announced on Thursday it would go into administration if a buyer is not found.

According to BBC News, professional services firm RSM Tenon has “blamed the problem on a rapid expansion and over-reaching itself”.

In a statement issued last night, the University said that “students and staff should make alternative transport arrangements. “Every effort is being made to restore normal service as quickly as possible”.

University students reacted angrily to the news on social media, with some encouraging protest marches. One female student said: “I don’t even know of any other buses to go to Sutton Bonington”.

Another added: “So I either spend an hour on the bus each way or go in for a 1 hour lecture and have to wait a few hours for the next bus back…… brilliant.”

Matt Styles, Students’ Union Education Officer, told Impact that “students who believe this will have had a negative impact on their studies or finances should contact [myself] or the Student Advice Centre in the Students’ Union”.

Izzy Scrimshire

• LiamRoss
    26 January 2013 at 17:42