Lead articles

Dissecting the Bugg: Is there Anything Inside?

Just who is Jake Bugg? Not Bob Dylan, is the answer to that. “I wonder if these people have got anything else in their record collection”, Bugg tells Impact of those who compare him to Dylan.

This was one of the few highlights of interviewing Bugg – his face actually lit up as he cited his 1960s influences of “Donovan, Don McLean, Jimi Hendrix, The Beatles as well, the list goes on”.

Bugg seemed to demonstrate pure apathy to the world and his music for the majority of the interview. Musicians are hardly renowned for their off-stage charisma, but it is a worrying sign when the interviewer shows more interest in the artist’s music than the artist themselves.

He recalled the intricate advice he received from Noel Gallagher – “practice” – and his emotions of being the first Nottingham number one: “It just came from nowhere – it just shouldn’t have happened”. Several other pearls of deep insight were provided by the young sage. How did it feel to be back in Nottingham after a few months absence? “Pleased”. How would he treat his homecoming show? “Like any other gig”.

Of course, we have to go easy on Bugg – he is only eighteen. It is possible that throughout this particular interview he was going through a mild existential crisis about growing up and his mind was therefore elsewhere. Or he’s just a miserable teenager. Who knows? Either way, nice music Jake, shame about the personality.

Tony Coltrane

Lead articlesMusic
  • Keyworth
    24 January 2013 at 14:35