Food

White Rabbit Teahouse Review: Down the Rabbit Hole

Tea is back. Despite the invasion of big brand coffee houses on our high streets of coffee houses in recent years, traditional tea rooms such as the White Rabbit Teahouse have staged a comeback. Bring on the crockery.

Slightly off the beaten track, the exterior of the White Rabbit Teahouse is tastefully feminine while managing to avoid venturing into ‘twee’. Mismatched crockery and knick-knacks are liberally scattered throughout the interior, creating a homely feel – which I imagine to be rather like paying a visit to Mary Berry’s kitchen.

After finding a suitable corner table, I ordered an egg and cress sandwich and D ordered a BLT, along with an Earl Grey tea for me and a coffee for D which were prepared immediately behind us (the premises are rather bijoux). We were served by a lady whom I can only assume was the proprietor, who was exceedingly polite and generated an aura of calm authority which put D and me at ease. My egg and cress sandwich was excellent; the correct ratio of filling to bread thickness is always a bugbear of mine, but here no such issues were found.

My tea was served in discerningly awful china, this being a sort of ‘motif’ of the White Rabbit Teahouse along with gentle pastel colours and of course rabbits. D’s BLT looked lovely, although due to a time constraint she did not have time to finish it. Upon payment, D was tempted by the display of homemade cakes and decided to buy a few slices to take away. Expecting them to be wrapped in some form of kitchen roll, I was somewhat delighted when they were brought out in individual Tupperware boxes, with a White Rabbit Teahouse sticker atop each box. Needless to say, even after a day in a plastic tomb, the cake was divine. Moist, delicious and light – everything my baking aspires to, but never quite achieves. We left feeling sated, propelled along by the promises of cake and free Tupperware.

Verdict: Polite and efficient service coupled with exquisite cake and pleasant surroundings make the White Rabbit Teahouse one of Nottingham’s best tea rooms.

Harrison White

White Rabbit Teahouse, 12 Hounds Gate, Nottingham, NG1 7AB
Tel: 0115 927 0227
http://whiterabbitteahouse.com/

Food