“That’s Bare Peng”: Driving Lessons At Trent

Nottingham Trent University has announced it is hosting a driving test centre jointly run with the Driving Standards Agency. The scheme has been set up to broaden students’ skills base.

Nottingham Trent is the first university in the UK that has offered such a programme. The driving centre is open to NTU students and members of the general public.

On the NTU website, they said: “Bookings have now opened for the new test centres after Roads Minister Stephen Hammond gave the go ahead for the trial.

“From March 2013 tests will be operational two days a week at the centres located at Clarendon Street, on the University’s City site, and at the Clifton campus. The trial is expected to last three to six months and the tests will be conducted by DSA examiners”.

Stephen Hammond has said: “The trial will help us understand how we can best provide a service for driving test candidates using universities. I am delighted that Nottingham Trent University is leading the way on opening up their sites not only to students but also the general public.

This builds on our recent announcement to conduct driving tests from branches of Halfords and DSA is also in discussion with areas of the Fire and Rescue Service.”

The Government has expressed interest in diversifying the ways motoring skills and qualifications are obtained and achieved in the UK, with greater emphasis on wider community cooperation and understanding.

A first year psychology student from Nottingham Trent told Impact “that’s bare peng”. She added “a lot of employers want to see driving as one of their credentials. It is great that NTU are expanding the skills of their students”.

However this trial has not affected the traditional establishments that offer such programmes. Both RAC and Red continue to charge up to £24 per driving lesson.

Hadi Harb

• ADI