Lead articles

Grilling the Presidential candidates

In the run-up to the 2013 SU Student Leader Elections, IMPACT pitted all seven Presidential hopefuls against each other:

1. Who do you consider to be your biggest rival in the race for President?

Johnny Lawrence: “Will Clempner and Ellie.”
Anil Parmar:
“I don’t really think there’s one candidate stronger than any other.”
Ellie McWilliam:
“Will Clempner. I think this is going to be Week One v. Karni.”
Luke Mitchell:
“The Dark Knight.”
Shehroze Khan:
“Other sabb Officers. And Will’s a nice guy, but I’m scared of him.”
The Dark Knight: “Apathy.”
Tom van Wesseldine: “Will Clempner.”
Will Clempner: “The Dark Knight.”

2. Describe your biggest rival in three words.

Johnny Lawrence: “We walk in the same friendship circles, so we’re fishing in the same pond of voters.”
Ellie McWilliam: “Confident, ambitious, charity.”
Luke Mitchell: “Cunning, dangerous, heroic.”
Shehroze Khan: [On sabb officers] “Good, bad and ugly.”
The Dark Knight: “Bane Two-face Joker.”
Tom van Wesseldine: “Never met him.”
Will Clempner: “Mysterious, rebellious, dark.”

3. What has been your biggest achievement while at Nottingham, or what are you most proud of?

Johnny Lawrence: “Joining Impact and writing about terrible movies that I watch.”
Anil Parmar:
“My biggest achievement was being elected [as Financial Services Officer]. Simply because I was doing it alongside my degree, and so I didn’t have much time to campaign.”
Ellie McWilliam:
“I’m most proud of achieving assistant coordinator, and being rugby captain.”
Luke Mitchell:
“My biggest achievement was when I organised an end of year funday for my hall. It took months of organising. On the day it absolutely poured with rain, but we kept going and had a decent turnout.”
Shehroze Khan:
“Being the president [of the Islamic Society] was an amazing learning curve because I got to represent so many students, and empower Muslim students who are less represented.”
The Dark Knight: “Being the hero Nottingham deserves.”
Tom van Wesseldine: “I started an oil and gas brokerage in my year out and since being at Uni it has now become global. Also being on course for a 2:1 in my degree as well as being part of NUFC.”
Will Clempner: “My biggest achievement was probably being elected as an NUS Delegate last term for the coming National Conference.”

4. What is the biggest role you have fulfilled at University?

Johnny Lawrence: “Can I say being a boyfriend? No. Ok. I was a Week One rep which was quite fun. I got to meet people, be friendly, and help people get home ok. Some powerful responsibilities there.”
Anil Parmar:
“My role as FSO is my biggest role while at University. It has lots of responsibility and I had a really big learning curve towards it, but I think I’ve got on really well.”
Ellie McWilliam:
“Doing Week one. It was a role I didn’t expect but absolutely adored.”
Luke Mitchell:
“Being on the SU Exec, because you can make such a difference for students. It’s a big responsibility but I love it!”
Shehroze Khan:
“My NUS delegate role. I just went out and talked to students. I didn’t think of them as votes, I looked at them as people who wanted to make a difference.”
The Dark Knight:
“Being Batman.”
Tom van Wesseldine:
“Nothing to be honest. That’s what separates me from other candidates. I’m not Karni or Week One – I’ve not done any of that. I’m just your regular student.”
Will Clempner: “The biggest role I’ve fulfilled is Karni Exec, because it was a year long commitment leading to us becoming the biggest student run charity in Europe.”

Antonia Paget

Lead articlesNewsSU ElectionsThis Issue
  • Duncan Davis