Food

Sticky Pear and Ginger Muffins

If I can find any excuse to cook with ginger I will, and this seems like the perfect excuse. I have seen lots of ginger and pear muffins around and I think that with a few tweaks and a little sticky toffee sauce it could only be more delicious! 
For your muffins you will need:
320g Golden caster sugar
320g Self Raising Flour
320g Butter
100g sour cream
3 eggs
thumb sized peice of fresh ginger
4 small pears
1/2 tsp of Cinammon

For the Toffee Sauce:
100g Muscavado sugar
150ml Double cream

pear2

1. Cream together your eggs and sugar and slowly add your flour, eggs and sour cream to the mixture until dropping consistency ( it drops off your spoon). If  your mixture is too heavy, add a little milk until you get the right consistency.

2. Now grate in your fresh ginger and mix this in with your 1/2 tsp of cinammon. Now you are ready to fill your muffin cases. Fill your cases half full as you need room to add your pear!

3. Cut your pear peices into thumb sized shapes. You can cut them however you like but I prefer to cut mine to have a point at the top so it looks like the top of the pear. Once cut place them in the centre of your mixture pushing them down slightly.

4. Place these into a pre-heated oven of 170°  for 20-25 minutes and leave to cool for 30 minutes. In the meantime you can make your toffee sauce.

5. Place your muscavado sugar and cream into a heavy based saucepan on a medium heat to melt the sugar into the cream. Depending how gingery you would like your muffins to be, you could put another piece of ginger into your cream and sugar mixture, to infuse it with the ginger’s flavour and remove once the sauce is ready.

6. Finally prick your muffins a few times on top and pour over your toffee sauce. By pricking holes in your muffins you are allowing the sauce to seep into the sponge making it even more sticky. Do not worry about being neat, they look better if they are drowned in sauce. For the purposes of my picture I used pears with stalks but I would encourage you to make your muffins without to save your teeth the trouble!

Charlotte Hoare

This recipe comes from our lovely resident baker Charlotte, to see more mouthwatering recipes go to her blog at http://charlottescakesandbakes.blogspot.co.uk/

Food