Trailer Watch – 05/04/2013

Trailer Watch returns this week with all-new footage from Baz Luhrmann’s adaptation of The Great GatsbyOnly God ForgivesThe Iceman, and the upcoming re-imagining of Stephen King’s Carrie.

The Great Gatsby

Moulin Rouge! director, Baz Luhrmann, returns in typical extravagant form with his take on F. Scott Fitzgerald’s seminal 20th century text, The Great Gatsby. Leonardo DiCaprio stars as the titular socialite alongside Tobey Maguire (as Nick Carraway), Carey Mulligan, Joel Edgerton and Isla Fisher. With the contemporary soundtrack and added 3D factor, it’s difficult not to worry that Gatsby may fall into the cadre of the previous attempts to bring the novel to life, none of which have been particularly well received. While Luhrmann has a dedicated following, some critics perceive his work to primarily be exercises in style over substance — will The Great Gatsby be the same? It’ll be released on 16th May, a day after opening Cannes Film Festival.

Carrie

While Brian De Palma’s 70s adaptation is undoubtedly a classic, it’s perhaps a little light for today’s horror fan. Kimberly Peirce’s new version of Carrie maintains all of the core elements from the novel, but transposes it into a modern setting. Chloe Moretz plays the eponymous troubled teenager struggling with high school woes and her overbearing, fundamentalist mother (Julianne Moore). This new trailer gives us a much better glimpse at both, although it’s arguably verging on spoiler territory. Carrie will be released on 29th November.

The Iceman

Michael Shannon is one of the most intense screen presences working today, and fans of his work in Take Shelter and TV’s Boardwalk Empire should look forward to this gangster thriller. He plays real-life hitman, Richard “The Iceman” Kuklinski, as we see his career develop over 30 years while keeping his sordid deeds a complete secret from his family. The Iceman also stars Winona Ryder, Ray Liotta, Chris Evans and Stephen Dorff, and will be released on 7th June.

Only God Forgives

One of two highly anticipated Ryan Gosling films released this year (the other being The Place Beyond The Pines), Only God Forgives reunites the star with Drive director, Nicholas Winding Refn. He stars as Julian, an American exile living in Bangkok who runs a Thai boxing club as a front for his family’s drug business. When his brother is killed, his mother (Kristin Scott Thomas) arrives in town and commands Julian to track the culprit down, a psychotic ex-cop known as The Angel of Vengeance. This red band trailer isn’t short on the blood or violence we’re used to seeing from Refn, although Only God Forgives looks to be harkening back to some of the stranger elements of his work in Bronson, while combining it with a distinct aesthetic (as in Drive). There’s no word on a UK release date yet for the film, but a Cannes premiere isn’t yet out of the question. Watch this space.

————————————————

Finally, on a more sombre note, it is with a heavy heart this week that we mourn the passing of film critic, Roger Ebert. He was 70 years old. Without doubt the most prominent and respected man of his field, whether you agreed with his opinions or not, he brought heart into film criticism and elevated it from mere critical theory. He was an inspiration to budding writers everywhere, and his work will be deeply missed.

Josh Franks

Click here for more from Trailer Watch.

Which of these films are you most looking forward to? Let us know via Facebook and Twitter, or leave a comment.

Film & TVTrailers
  • atxdirectory.com
    9 November 2013 at 03:23