Albums

Album Review: AlunaGeorge – ‘Body Music’

alunageorgebodymusic

There has been a fair amount of hype surrounding the debut album from London electronic duo, AlunaGeorge. Aluna’s vocals for Disclosure’s massive single, ‘White Noise’, earlier this year and the band’s nomination for BBC’s Sound of 2013 poll saw the anticipation rise still. What we’ve been given is an album full of potential, just missing the final pieces of the jigsaw.

As this country gradually waves farewell to the harsher variants of electronic dance music, so it greets the more soothing and appealing sounds of house. AlunaGeorge bridge the gap further between the up and coming and the mainstream with their electro-pop take on the genre.

Having seen them deliver a terrific live set only last month, I couldn’t wait to hear whether AlunaGeorge would be able to convert this live performance into an accomplished debut album.

All in all, this is a reasonably impressive album. Aluna’s voice is quite something to behold in itself: childlike in its purity and innocence, but far from immature in its ability to convey very mature emotions. George has quickly established himself as one of the up and coming producer greats, able to manipulate appealing beats and catchy melodies into great electro-pop songs (stand-out tracks being ‘Attracting Flies’ and ‘You Know You Like It’).

Mark my words, there could be some hit singles amongst this lot, but (you knew that was coming) the simplicity of Aluna’s vocals might have benefited from being paired with slightly more complex production from George. With lyrics like ‘It doesn’t always make me feel sad / But it never really makes me feel glad’, the production has to pack a punch, which it all too often does not.

George has admitted in interviews his admiration for the ‘beautiful simplicity’ of commercial hip-hop and R&B. I do feel that the band’s quest for beauty in simplicity has fallen short in its refusal to acknowledge the difficulties of making simple sound complex.

Body Music album holds some cracking tunes, some great lyricism, bar the odd cliché, and many examples of exciting production. Theoretically, the album is all there; just a little more time and effort would have filled the gaps.

Liv Clark

…Liv has been listening to The Orwells – ‘Who Needs You’…

Star-Rating-3-1-21

AlbumsMusic