Live Review: Bad Vibrations Alldayer, Shacklewell Arms, London (25/08/13)

parlourbadvibesshacklewellarms

On this Bank Holiday Sunday, Bad Vibrations returned to East London’s Shacklewell Arms for another alldayer, showcasing some of the best up and coming bands.

This edition of a now regular event was billed as a ‘pysch festival’, which, to an extent, was accurate. However, the term ‘psych’ was stretched to its most distant meanings, with jangly indie-pop band, Moats; grunge quartet, Puffer; and punks, Loom, all on the bill.

_________________________

Here are the three bands that impressed Impact the most:

1. Parlour

This London-based five-piece most definitely fitted the ‘pysch’ label that had been placed on the event. They create stunning sonic landscapes in a similar vein to My Bloody Valentine or even The HorrorsSkying. With gorgeous female vocals, chugging basslines and explosive guitars, Parlour have all the makings of a great band. Watch this space.

_________________________

2. Puffer

Compared to the likes of Nirvana and Butthole Surfers, Puffer are considerably heavier than anything else on the bill. This four-piece play bass-driven, gloomy grunge, with ghastly vocals and hypnotic drums. Their set is loud and raucous, and certainly bodes well for the future.

_________________________

3. Loom

The headliners for the day, Loom, played one of the best sets that Impact has seen for a long time. They are as loud as Puffer but a lot more interesting, with much more going on in the music and onstage. Starting with the music, it is a combination of punk, post-punk and grunge, allowing for dangerously loud guitars and thumping drums. As for onstage activity, this is easily the liveliest of the day, with frontman Tarik Badwan spending as much time being shoved about in the circle pit as he did actually onstage.

Recent a-side ‘I Get A Taste’ stands out as a set highlight, and it is just a shame that b-side ‘She’s Not There’ is not given an outing. The band have an album ready to go, which is surely set to be a classic. They will also play a four date residency in Camden’s Black Heart this autumn, which you really don’t want to miss out on. Just don’t spend the whole set filming it on your mobile phone because you’ll have it confiscated, as one fan found out on this occasion: ‘You can have it back at the end of the set,’ declared rockstar-cum-teacher, Mr. Badwan.

_________________________

A very well-run day with some great music, good drinks and exceptional hot dogs. Keep checking the Bad Vibrations Facebook page for information on future events.

Alex Neely

…Alex is listening to Crocodiles – Crimes Of Passion

GigsMusic
  • Keith Miller
    28 August 2013 at 15:58