Live Review: Kappa Gamma / Kagoule, The Monarch, Camden (21/08/13)

kagoulemonarch

Forget mediocre teen heartthrob, Jake Bugg. Ignore Dog Is Dead‘s hideously average indie. Camden’s Monarch was treated to two of Nottingham’s best bands of the moment.

Kappa Gamma and Kagoule have been on the scene for a little while now, both having a solitary single to their names, but are only just starting to receive the attention they so badly deserve. Kappa Gamma’s take on clever, mathy indie-pop is earning them more and more shows, while Kagoule can now fully concentrate on their 90s-influenced grunge, having recently left college.

Tonight, Kagoule were first on the bill. They powered through a seven song set that sounded tighter than ever, beginning with a-side ‘Monarchy’ and also including b-side ‘Mudhole’ and live favourite, ‘Made Of Concrete’. New song, ‘Gush’, could have been taken straight from PixiesSurfer Rosa, while penultimate song, ‘Empty Mug’, is punkier and bears resemblance to much of the contemporary Scandinavian hardcore-punk. Set closer, ‘Encave’, is hook-filled grunge. This Nottingham trio just get better and better.

Kappa Gamma soon followed. Considerably quieter and more reflective than Kagoule, they play a solid set, with influences ranging from classic Radiohead to contemporary indie-pop; think Foals or Everything Everything. Ear-pleasing vocal harmonies and mellow guitar lines, Kappa Gamma ought to have a bright future ahead.

Denizen Records, the label to which both Kagoule and Kappa Gamma are signed, have pulled a masterstroke in taking East Midlands’ finest down to the Big Smoke, and there are plenty of other Nottingham bands to come too. Thankfully, Nottingham is not all Jake Bugg and Dog Is Dead, as shown by the recent success of Childhood, University of Nottingham graduates, who were also in attendance at The Monarch.

Kagoule will play another London show on Tuesday 27th August, where they will support Neil’s Children and Dark Bells at White Heat. Don’t miss out on the best band that Nottingham has to offer right now.

Alex Neely

…Alex is listening to Eagulls – ‘Nerve Endings’…

GigsMusic
  • Recent coverage: Kagoule, Kappa Gamma, NME, Rolo Tomassi, Emma Bladon Jones, Ex Friendly, Leo & the Seraphim, Ryan Thomas | musicnottingham.com
    28 August 2013 at 17:43