QS Global University Rankings Released: The University Of Nottingham Places 75th

The University of Nottingham (UON) has been placed in joint 75th position by the newly released QS World University Rankings 2013.

The UON’s new ranking represents a minor fall of three places; the University achieved 72nd place in 2012. The UON’s latest position currently puts it as the 14th best university in the UK. With its nearest rivals being the University of Sheffield in 71st position and the University of St. Andrews in 83rd position.

Highlights of QS’ report on the UON are the continuation of the University’s tradition of excellence in Law with a ranking of 34th best in the world, as well as commendations for its preparation of students for the workplace, with a ranking of 30th best in the world for employer opinion of UON students.

Indulging in a stereotype of the city, the University’s highest ranked course is Pharmacy, with the UON occupying 15th position.

Nevertheless, the University has drawn criticism for its low faculty-to-student ratio, ranked at a staggeringly low 255th in the world in this respect. Sociology is also the lowest ranked course, unplaced between 151st and 200th position.

The QS World University Rankings represent one of the ‘big-three’ university ranking leagues, along with The Times Higher Education World University Rankings and The Academic Ranking of World Universities.

Specifically, the QS specialises in the use of academic and employer surveys to quantify the perceived worth of a university, alongside standard measures such as research spending and faculty/student ratio.

The full rankings are available here at: http://www.topuniversities.com/.

James Gregory

Image: Barry Mangham