Milton Jones @ The Royal Concert Hall

If you like witty one-liners and deadpan sarcasm, then Milton Jones is an absolute must-see. Most people know him from ‘Mock the Week’ as the slightly neurotic looking one who is able to make an audience laugh from just a wide-eyed grimace. His stand-up is much like the jokes you see on the popular panel show, and his performance at The Royal Concert Hall, Nottingham certainly captivated the crowd and left most with aching cheeks even before the interval.

We were welcomed by Milton dressed in pyjamas and a dressing gown, entering the stage hunched over a scooter, eventually coming to an unsteady halt and introducing himself as “Milton’s Grandfather”.  This act involved him hauling out an old 1980s projector, and showing the audience childlike drawings of himself and his family, commentated with a series of jokes; “Forty years ago, if you’d told me there would be 3D televisions today, I’d have thought… Wow, that’s cheap!” The audience roaring with laughter, Milton was ready to impress us with more of his one-liners.

38-39 Food

He did an amusing job of playing the role of his grandfather, with his brilliantly cynical tune he sang about kittens and rainbows, which finished by reminding us that we’re all going to die, along with his humorous waddle he committed to, to get from one side of the stage to the other.

He made every single person in the room laugh, without once resorting to sexually inappropriate jokes.

The crowd now warmed up, his support act, Chris Martin – no, not the one from Coldplay – was up next. Contrasting with Milton’s deadpan style humour, Chris mainly told the self-proclaimed “dumb stories” about his life. He started with something every English person can relate to, and asked the audience “Why do all Americans assume English people are either Cockney, posh or a wizard?” which received a great reception, as members of the crowd nodded to their friends in knowing agreement. Although not the main star of the show, Chris gave a memorable performance, and was certainly a crowd-pleaser, leaving many people talking about him in the interval that followed.

MiltonJones_photoby_IdilSukan_DrawHQ_10_MR

After a twenty minute interval, the audience were sat in anticipation ready for the real show; Milton Jones. It is fair to say that he did not disappoint. Milton bounded on the stage in his signature Hawaiian shirt and mad hair-do and had the crowd in stitches right from the word go, when he told us how he googled “Lost medieval servant boy” but all it came up with was “Page not found”.

Milton bounded on the stage in his signature Hawaiian shirt and mad hair-do and had the crowd in stitches right from the word go.

Perhaps the most commendable aspect of Milton’s stand up is the fact he made every single person in the room laugh, without once resorting to sexually inappropriate jokes; something which a lot of comedians nowadays use as a fall back.

Overall, this show is extremely enjoyable; I was impressed with Milton’s wit and ability to connect with the audience, and can confidently say this view was shared by most other audience members. The only weakness I could possibly pick up on was occasionally you were left in the dark, as he moved on from one joke to another; although the few that I didn’t understand later clicked on my journey home! A fantastic performance, and one I would definitely recommend seeing if you enjoy light-hearted humour and satirical puns.

Lucy Castle

Follow Impact Arts on Twitter and Facebook

Image: cakechooser.com. 

• kay
    25 October 2013 at 17:00